Where do I find examples of the gases that Dalton used

  • Thread starter Thread starter kjamha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gases
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kjamha
Messages
98
Reaction score
1
I am trying to get a better idea of how Dalton came up with his values of atomic weights for various elements. I know that he used ratios of gas mixtures and I've read about CO, CO2 and CuCO3 (with the a 3 to 4 ratio of C to O). I would like to see many of his specific examples using his ratios, but I can not find this spelled out clearly anywhere on the web. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
This might help. He got many of them wrong. He incorrectly believed that water was a binary compound of one hydrogen and one oxygen and that ammonia likewise was a binary compound.