Where do I start in math for physics comprehension?

In summary, the individual is seeking to advance their understanding of modern physics by working through classical physics first. They are using a combination of internet resources and textbooks, but are struggling with advanced mathematical terminology such as Hilbert space, Lagrangian/Hamiltonian, and Fourier transforms. They have studied up to calculus and trigonometry, and are starting on linear algebra, but are looking for resources that introduce them to the necessary vocabulary without presuming prior knowledge. They have received advice to study classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics in that order, and have been recommended to also study tensor analysis. The Lagrangian formulation in classical mechanics is mentioned as being a profound concept in understanding the underlying principles of motion.
mpatryluk
I am looking to work my way through classical physics and into more complex modern physics topics.

I try to learn from a combination of internet resources and textbooks, but on the internet I find them often using terminology which is too mathematically advanced for me.

Some examples are:
-Hilbert space
-Lagrangian/Hamiltonian
-Fourier transforms

And when i try to research these topics online, I don't have the necessary context or experience to understand the vocabulary that explains them, i.e. terminology like "a structure on a set" or other vocabulary that is too vague for me to understand (because I don't have the experience to know which context the words should be taken in).

I've learned up to calculus/trig, and am starting work on linear algebra, but I'd like to know which topics I can study which will give me the math literacy I need to understand concepts like the above mentioned. Ideally resources that introduce me to the vocabulary without presuming prior knowledge.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When I went to school, I had Calc 1,2,3, Advanced Calculus, linear algebra and Diff Eqns and that was sufficient to study Classical Mechanics from Marion or from Goldstein, E and M Theory and Quantum Mechanics. For self-study you probably need to study them in that order too as QM depends on some CM and EM concepts.

I also took Tensor Analysis and that helped with the notation.

Likes mpatryluk
Thank you so much, I'll do it in that order then!

For me, the Lagrangisn formulation in CM was the coolest thing I had ever encountered. Consider how you've studied Newtonian physics and used force diagrams and vector math to solve your problems which can get very involved to determine the motion of the system.

It never occurs to you that there is this underlying principle call Least Action that says things move is a way to expend the least amount of energy and from simply accounting for the energy of the system and taking its difference in T-V and doing some math determine the motion. It was very profound for me.

I understand your struggle with understanding mathematical concepts in physics. It can be overwhelming to try to learn both physics and advanced mathematics at the same time. However, the good news is that you have already started with the basics, such as calculus and trigonometry, which are essential for understanding physics.

To improve your math literacy for physics, I would suggest focusing on a few key topics that are commonly used in classical and modern physics. These include:

1. Vector calculus: This is an essential tool for understanding the concepts of motion, forces, and fields in physics. It includes topics such as vector operations, differentiation and integration of vector functions, and theorems like Gauss's and Stokes's theorems.

2. Differential equations: Physics is all about understanding how physical quantities change with time or space. Differential equations are used to describe these changes and are crucial for understanding concepts like motion, energy, and waves.

3. Linear algebra: This branch of mathematics deals with systems of linear equations and matrices, which are widely used in physics to solve problems involving multiple variables.

4. Complex numbers: In physics, many quantities are represented using complex numbers, such as in the case of electromagnetic waves. Understanding complex numbers and their properties will be beneficial in understanding these concepts.

I recommend starting with these topics and mastering them before moving on to more advanced concepts. There are many resources available online, such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare, that offer introductory courses on these topics. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and applying these concepts to real-world situations.

In addition, don't hesitate to ask for help from your peers, teachers, or online forums if you come across any difficult concepts. With patience and dedication, you will be able to improve your math literacy and understand the mathematical concepts used in physics.

1. Where should I begin in learning math for physics comprehension?

The best place to start in learning math for physics comprehension is with the basics, such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. These topics lay the foundation for more advanced math concepts that are essential for understanding physics.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to understand physics?

While having a strong math background can certainly be beneficial, it is not necessary to understand physics. The key is to have a solid understanding of the fundamental math concepts and to be able to apply them to physics problems.

3. Can I learn math for physics comprehension on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn math for physics comprehension on your own. However, it may be helpful to have a textbook or online resources to guide you and provide practice problems to reinforce your understanding.

4. How much math do I need to know for physics?

The amount of math you need to know for physics will depend on the level of physics you are studying. At a minimum, you will need a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. More advanced physics courses may require knowledge of calculus and other higher-level math concepts.

5. What resources can I use to improve my math skills for physics?

There are many resources available to help improve your math skills for physics. Some options include textbooks, online tutorials and courses, practice problems, and working with a tutor. It may also be helpful to consult with your physics teacher or professor for additional resources and guidance.