Where Do Systems Belong Among the Sciences?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, systems can be composed of various components, like atoms, molecules, maybe interacting energy things, maybe bits of code, or higher level components. Since it is not linked to only a single kind of component (abstracted from a physical substrate, so to say), how do people think of systems, with respect to the classical hierarchy of science: physics, chemistry, biology, etc.? Branch of math? Something else?
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Assemblies of various components can have properties as functioning systems.
Systems can be composed of various kinds of components, like atoms, molecules, maybe interacting energy things, maybe bits of code, or higher level components.

Since it is not linked to only a single kind of component (abstracted from a physical substrate, so to say), how do people think of systems, with respect to the classical hierarchy of science: physics, chemistry, biology, etc.?
Branch of math? Something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
You mean mechanics and automata theory?
In a sense, yes.
As a field of study free of the particular substrate in which it is manifested.
I guess a similar question could be asked about engineering (many things can be engineered).

With a caveat that I have not thought about this before and a later post might change my mind.
I think systems are still embedded in the classical hierarchy because the emergent behavior is still basically viewed from the hierarchy. I will grant that there is a body of knowledge on “complexity,” but I view it as a set of tools currently.

Likes BillTre
I guess I am not familiar with classical hierarchy theory, at least not by name.

Would this mean it gets thrown in with math?

So you are actually asking about the inner structure, the chapters in mechanics, or about the Chomsky hierarchy, and newly network architectures? I'm afraid I don't understand the question very well.

BillTre said:
I guess I am not familiar with classical hierarchy theory, at least not by name.

Would this mean it gets thrown in with math?
Your word choice not mine.
BillTre said:
how do people think of systems, with respect to the classical hierarchy of science: physics, chemistry, biology, etc.?
In general, I think all of the fields are still basically defining systems in their own terms.

Likes BillTre
Mechanics: from the six classical simple machines, over robotics to self-driving cars
Automata: Chomsky
Networks: (I don't know enough about them, but it should include everything between graph theory and AI)
Biology: probably the size of the life-forms (from cell kernel to forests, reefs, and vertebrates)
Chemistry: they only count carbon atoms :-p

Likes BillTre
@fresh_42, I am not familiar with these terms:
inner structure
chapters in mechanics
Chomsky hierarchy
newly network architectures

fresh_42 said:
I don't understand the question very well.
I guess I am wondering about where this stuff is considered a field separate from the sciences of physically manifested things.

I am now kind of thinking its more like a part of math.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Last edited:
Likes BillTre
caz said:
While there are other examples, I am not sure what I would call Didier Sornette, so maybe it is a field.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Sornette
I guess you edited your post, but one of your wikipedia links lead me to this:
General systems theory is about developing broadly applicable concepts and principles, as opposed to concepts and principles specific to one domain of knowledge. It distinguishes dynamic or active systems from static or passive systems. Active systems are activity structures or components that interact in behaviours and processes. Passive systems are structures and components that are being processed. For example, a program is passive when it is a disc file and active when it runs in memory.[2] The field is related to systems thinking, machine logic, and systems engineering.
Which makes sense to me and indicates to me it is part or like math in respect to the physical sciences.

BillTre said:
I guess you edited your post, but one of your wikipedia links lead me to this:

Which makes sense to me and indicates to me it is part or like math in respect to the physical sciences.
Someone else posted and then deleted their post.

Likes BillTre
caz said:
Someone else posted and then deleted their post.
Well it confused me.

• Haha
Likes Frabjous
BillTre said:
@fresh_42, I am not familiar with these terms:
inner structure
chapters in mechanics
Chomsky hierarchy
newly network architecturesI guess I am wondering about where this stuff is considered a field separate from the sciences of physically manifested things.

I am now kind of thinking its more like a part of math.
That was my fault. 'Newly' should have been 'recently', i.e. Network Theory is not that old, and despite, we are already dealing with AI. With 'inner structure', I meant how mechanics is organized. It starts with simple machines (lever, wedge, screw, ...) and is now already at robotics and self-driving cars. Automata theory deals with theoretical "machines" like a Turing machine or a cellular automaton, and the Chomsky hierarchy organizes the grammar of formal languages.

We need certainly many of the more advanced concepts of all of them in self-driving cars: robotics, self-learning networks, AI, and probably a complicated language to code all this.

Likes BillTre
Where does cybernetics fit in with these terms?
Its my (rather vague) impression that cybernetics is more oriented toward engineering actual things, rather than being theoretical concepts.

BillTre said:
Its my (rather vague) impression that cybernetics is more oriented toward engineering actual things, rather than being theoretical concepts.
I would count it to robotics, or vice versa. Cybernetics sounds more sophisticated though.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
Don’t point out to @fresh_42 that the wikipedia page for cybernetics says
“Second-order cybernetics is associated with a radically constructivist approach to epistemology and the philosophy of science.”

FYI
Earlier today he responded to
WWGD said:
Galois died at 21, in a duel over politics. Can't imagine a Mathematician dying that way today.
with
fresh_42 said:
Ever started a discussion on constructivism?
:wink:

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
DYK that "robot" stems from the Slavic word for "work"? The Russian noun "work" is рабо́та.

Cybernetics stems from κυβερνήτης, second mate, or the steering regulation in general.

Hence it depends on whether you want to focus on the actual work or theorize how it should work if it would work. :cool:

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes Tom.G and Frabjous
  • Informative
Likes Klystron and fresh_42
Isn't Cybernetics just Systems Theory? Not sure if it includes applications, though. IIRC, 'Robot' originated in a story, R.U.R , by Karel Capek. I remember that from like 15 years back. But I can't remember where I put my keys 5 minutes ago. Wonder if Cybernetics can address that.

Likes BillTre
WWGD said:
Isn't Cybernetics just Systems Theory? Not sure if it includes applications, though.
I though it was control oriented and physically implemented.
But that's a vague impression.

Likes WWGD
Wikipedia said:
According to its founder Norbert Wiener, cybernetics is the science of controlling and regulating machines and their analogy to the behavior of living organisms (due to feedback from sensory organs) and social organizations (due to feedback from communication and observation). It has also been described as "the art of steering".
Wikipedia said:
Systems theory is an interdisciplinary approach in which fundamental aspects and principles of systems are used to describe and explain phenomena of varying complexity.

Likes BillTre
WWGD said:
Isn't Cybernetics just Systems Theory? Not sure if it includes applications, though. IIRC, 'Robot' originated in a story, R.U.R , by Karel Capek. I remember that from like 15 years back. But I can't remember where I put my keys 5 minutes ago. Wonder if Cybernetics can address that.
There is no contradiction to what I have said.

fresh_42 said:
There is no contradiction to what I have said.
Yes, I know, I was trying to refer it to something that seemed simpler, at least to me.

This might make all these terms clear ( :wink: ):

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 4.23.41 PM.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_system#/media/File:2018_Map_of_the_Complexity_Sciences_HD.jpg

• Haha
Likes Melbourne Guy, OmCheeto and Klystron
It somehow fits that I first read "chaos theory".

• Haha
Likes BillTre
The cynic in me looks at that diagram as a jumbled inaccurate mess that was made by a couple of social scientists trying to paint themselves as being at the forefront of modern complexity theory. But it does contain a lot of useful search terms.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and BillTre
BillTre said:
The term 'cybernetic' was coined by Norbert Wiener ##-## etymologically, it references a Khyber Pass pilot (Greek netos = pilot) ##-## the Khyber Pass is treacherous, and it takes a highly skilled boat/watercraft pilot to navigate it safely enough ##-## the term was originated for technical discussion about machines doing things that require decision-making ability that formerly required a human to make the decisions while the process was in progress.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
Assembly aptly provides the operative description of emergent systems throughout STEM.

Take a simple mechanical example such as 'nut and bolt'. By themselves neither object provides useful organization. Assembled together, correctly paired nuts and bolts produce a 'fastener system' able to join many different mechanical objects to perform disparate functions.

Likes BillTre
sysprog said:
The term 'cybernetic' was coined by Norbert Wiener ##-## etymologically, it references a Khyber Pass pilot (Greek netos = pilot) ##-## the Khyber Pass is treacherous, and it takes a highly skilled boat/watercraft pilot to navigate it safely enough ##-## the term was originated for technical discussion about machines doing things that require decision-making ability that formerly required a human to make the decisions while the process was in progress.
Last part sounds a lot like Machine Learning.

Klystron said:
Assembly aptly provides the operative description of emergent systems throughout STEM.

Take a simple mechanical example such as 'nut and bolt'. By themselves neither object provides useful organization. Assembled together, correctly paired nuts and bolts produce a 'fastener system' able to join many different mechanical objects to perform disparate functions.
Emergent properties?

BillTre said:
Systems can be composed of various kinds of components, like atoms, molecules, maybe interacting energy things, maybe bits of code, or higher level components.

Since it is not linked to only a single kind of component (abstracted from a physical substrate, so to say), how do people think of systems, with respect to the classical hierarchy of science: physics, chemistry, biology, etc.?
Branch of math? Something else?

I'm approaching this from the point to view as one trained in biophysics who has seen some of these ideas develop in studying biological systems.

This topic is definitely interdisciplinary and draws from many different disciplines. Many of these studies are focused on biological systems and biologists who call themselves "systems biologists" are the ones most directly researching the topics. There is also a long history of physicists working on complex systems and I've definitely seem people talk about "the physics of complex systems." I don't know physics departments as well as others on the forums, but many of the people working on these types of issues would tend to be in condensed matter physics. The topic also falls quite well into various areas of chemistry as some chemists are interested in creating such complex systems or taking apart existing complex systems to study them. There probably isn't anyone area of chemistry that does most of the research on systems, though one would find it in physical chemistry (esp statistical mechanics) and probably those studying materials and nanosystems/nanotechnology as well (these areas also overlap substantially with physics as well).

The idea of abstracting concepts and ideas of systems to a generalizable set of rules that applies beyond the details of the specific system probably falls under (applied) mathematics or theoretical physics.

Likes Klystron and BillTre
WWGD said:
Emergent properties?
Consider early research into using radio (Hertzian waves) to communicate information across a river.

A radio transmitter (tx) sent coded signals to receivers (rx) tuned to the tx waveband. Operators correlated signal interruptions with ships passing along the river between the tx and rx's. Radar systems emerged from radio communications technology.

Likes WWGD