Where do you attend university?

• Schools
  • Thread starter rocketboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: I'm at the University of Southern California majoring in Aerospace Engineering.I really enjoy the campus and the surrounding area. The students are really friendly and the classes are challenging but enjoyable. The professors are top-notch and the department is well-respected.
rocketboy
Hey everyone,

Just wondering where you attend university/college and what program(s) you are taking and how you like it. Also what made you choose the school you chose?

Physics news on Phys.org
I attend the Faculty of Hard Knocks at the Universtity of Life.

I'm doing a PhD in (Experimental Condensed Matter) Physics at the Ohio State University. I hardly take any courses any longer other than the occasional interesting course that I sit in on. I enjoy working in physics.

Gokul43201 said:
I'm doing a PhD in (Experimental Condensed Matter) Physics at the Ohio State University. I hardly take any courses any longer other than the occasional interesting course that I sit in on. I enjoy working in physics.
Was your bachelor's also in physics?

No. My bachelor's was in Materials & Metallurgical Engg but not getting "to the bottom of it all" left me unsatisfied. Hence the switch !

I'm attending Penn State University, Majoring in Computer Engineering. I use to go to Penn State Behrend majoring Software Engineering but now adays its assumed you know how to program, i also didn't want to spend 4 years learning somthing I already know how to do, so i decided to go into computer engineering for better job security, also Behrend is all up hill and due to a car accident, I'm not walking very well! Why Penn State? Its cheap, and well known!

mr_coffee said:
Why Penn State? Its cheap, and well known!
And you beat us yesterday...grrrr ! :mad:

heh this is true. :biggrin:

I'm at the University of Southern California majoring in Aerospace Engineering.

I'm from Ohio too, so I was a bit angry about that Penn State game, but what can you do. At least one of my teams will make it to the Rose Bowl

I am attending the University of Texas at Dallas (UTD),

We have a perfect, undefeated foot ball record, because we don't have a team!

mrjeffy321 said:
I am attending the University of Texas at Dallas (UTD),

We have a perfect, undefeated foot ball record, because we don't have a team!

freshman at UTD, engineering school with math major on fast track program...
I am going for applied math with engineering emphasise.
Although I hardly do anything in school except going to class, but I still like my school.

Graduate Center CUNY(City University of New York) working on PhD in Theoretical Physics. Just started so haven't picked a topic probally in either quantum optics or particle physics.

Hi.

I'm at University of Zagreb (Croatia, Europe), going for diploma (I think it's what you call Bachelor of Science) in physics, in my final year. Officially, I'm taking experimental condensed matter physics, but since this is still undergraduate level, it's actually just 2 or 3 extra courses difference from others in theoretical physics. My primary interests are condensed matter and optics (theory or exp.), or any other area with direct applications. My diploma thesis will most probably be in area of theoretical nonlinear optics.

Rocketboy, you haven't told us anything about yourself... :)

Alexandria university, Egypt...Nuclear engineering student (that's my 2nd year in this dept.)

Why?? Because i live in Alexandria, there's a nuclear eng dept, an old elegant building, well known university.. and it's a government university also, because private ones have a bad reputation, that the students study there because of their parentswealth not their intellectual and/or individual abilities and hence the initiative to work hard and study because u love what u do is not there, ofcourse that's the general case, there r brilliant minds everywhere, and vice versa...

Simple..

Student_at_CUNY said:
Graduate Center CUNY(City University of New York) working on PhD in Theoretical Physics. Just started so haven't picked a topic probally in either quantum optics or particle physics.
Is Myriam Sarachik still at CUNY ? If ever you consider swiching to experimental work, do consider her group (if she's still there, that is).

Igor_S said:
Rocketboy, you haven't told us anything about yourself... :)

Well, right now I am in my final year of high school at Ashbury College in Ottawa, Canada, and am looking to go into...wait, am positive that I will go into aerospace engineering next year. The question is where I will apply, so right now I'm trying to narrow down my US school application choices.

I thought it would be both interesting and informative to hear about everyone else's university choices:tongue2:... and so far it is!

zwtipp05 said:
I'm at the University of Southern California majoring in Aerospace Engineering.

How is it? You can only learn so much from the schools website, do you like the campus? the surrounding area? the students, classes, profs? I've heard good things about USC before, and would love to learn more about the school.

rocketboy said:
Well, right now I am in my final year of high school at Ashbury College in Ottawa, Canada, and am looking to go into...wait, am positive that I will go into aerospace engineering next year. The question is where I will apply, so right now I'm trying to narrow down my US school application choices.

I thought it would be both interesting and informative to hear about everyone else's university choices:tongue2:... and so far it is!

How is it? You can only learn so much from the schools website, do you like the campus? the surrounding area? the students, classes, profs? I've heard good things about USC before, and would love to learn more about the school.

The campus itself is very nice especially for being in the middle of the city. The surrounding area isn't the best, but as long as you're not stupid about it, you'll be safe.

I'm only taking one aerospace class this semester, but my professor, Larry Rekekopp, is great. He goes a little slow, but he is an excellent teacher. My other classes are good as well and my teachers are all pretty good.

The engineering department in general is one of the best in the country and just a few years ago they received one of the biggest endowments ever to an engineering school from alumnus, Andrew Viterbi, the inventor of an algorithm used in communication. This weekend was the celebration for the 125th aniversary of the University and the 100th anniversary of the engineering school.

All in all, I'm enjoying it very much out here. The weather is amazing, by the way, today it was in the 70s with not a cloud in the sky.

I am a Ph.D. student in Physics at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. I didn't choose this school but instead my research advisory took the Department Head position here after I finished my first 2 years of my Ph.D. I did my undergraduate work and first 2 years of my Ph.D. at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I chose UWM (over UW-Madison, where I was also accepted for undergrad) for a couple of reasons. First, it was in-state. Second, I really liked their relativity group (Leonard Parker and John Friedman) since I thought I wanted to go into cosmology or relativity when I started College. Thirdly, I had a try out with their soccer team- which I never went to after all since I really didn't want to play D1 soccer.

Is anybody from U-Mo Rolla, Bradley University, or Loyola Chicago? I'm a High School Senior and would like to hear from students at those schools as they are near to my hometown relatively. I am interested in Physics and Computer Sciences. Anyone else have suggestions of Midwest Universities to consider, similar to those I listed?

If you can't tell by my name...

I earned my bachelors from the University of Colorado, and am now doing grad work at the College of William and Mary. Both for Physics, first year.

in Toronto, EE 1st year.

Norman, how do you like WPI? I'm a high school senior looking to go into Mechanical/Aerospace engineering or Physics and it is one of my top choices.

SDutra,

WPI is a good school. I cannot comment on the Engineering Departments, but I like the Physics Department. The curriculum is good- it is project based- which will translate well into real world situations well. The only thing that is weird is the terms. There are 4 terms in each academic year (not including summer)- so it is like having quarters. I could see this system being very productive, but depending on preferences, it could also be very hectic. I hope you choose WPI and WPI physics!
Cheers,
Ryan

I'm taking one Nuclear Engineering course at the University of Tennesse this semester. Finances willing, I'll be starting on my Master's this fall.

Gokul43201 said:
No. My bachelor's was in Materials & Metallurgical Engg but not getting "to the bottom of it all" left me unsatisfied. Hence the switch !

Gokul, did you find it hard to get accepted as a physics grad student with an engineering degree? I've just made the opposite switch (physics -> engineering) for my MS, but it's possible if I might want to pursue a PhD in nuclear physics down the road. I'm just curious if that will tend to be looked down on compared to a person with an MS in physics.

Grogs said:
Gokul, did you find it hard to get accepted as a physics grad student with an engineering degree? I've just made the opposite switch (physics -> engineering) for my MS, but it's possible if I might want to pursue a PhD in nuclear physics down the road. I'm just curious if that will tend to be looked down on compared to a person with an MS in physics.
Grogs, in some of the bigger and better schools, it actually serves as an advantage. Large departments that are good and can afford it, are always looking out for diversity. Someone who can bring outside skills into a field is often desirable. I believe it worked to my advantage.

In my case though, I had a research project with the Physics Dept., a reasonable Physics GRE Score (considering I was not a physics major), a publication, a conference talk, and very good references from the Physics Dept. ie: it helps to have credentials in the field you are transferring to. If you've taken courses in Engg. that you have good grades in, that will be a asset (and a good reference letter from someone in Engg will be a great bonus).

My word of advice : Ace that Nucl. Engg. course...and really impress the prof who's teaching it. :smile:

Last edited:
University of Victoria (British Columbia, Canada).
2nd year of an Honours B.Sc. in Astronomy.
http://uvic.ca/"
http://www.phys.uvic.ca/"

Last edited by a moderator:
zwtipp05,

How difficult was it to get accepted to USC? If you don't mind me asking, I would be really interested in hearing what the SAT scores (and SAT II scores if you took them) and high school marks got you in. Also did they give you any scholarship/bursary?

University of Melbourne, Australia

Studying bachelour of (civil) engineering / bachelour of science (physics). I'm getting high distinctions in all my science classes, and failing all my engineering classes (cause they're so boring I never turn up). My Uni got into the guinnes book of records last week for building the largest ever beer can pyramid.

I'm a senior at Florida Institute of Technology, majoring in Astronomy/Astrophysics. I love it! I chose it for the small size (less than 5000 students, 9:1 student faculty ratio), location (Florida & NASA's Kennedy Space Center), and great Physics & Space Sciences program.

I'm currently looking into grad schools for my PhD.

I attend New York City College of Technology with a major in Computer Engineering.

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Alexandria university, Egypt...Nuclear engineering student (that's my 2nd year in this dept.)
Why?? Because i live in Alexandria, there's a nuclear Eng dept, an old elegant building, well known university.. and it's a government university also, because private ones have a bad reputation, that the students study there because of their parents wealth not their intellectual and/or individual abilities and hence the initiative to work hard and study because u love what u do is not there, of course that's the general case, there r brilliant minds everywhere, and vice verse...
Simple..

I don't know whether to get mad at or proud of you first i am an AAST student in Egypt majoring in electronics and communication engineering and i think that to graduate from my college -with a good GPA- it needs as much work as any other university in Egypt
i am sorry to say that but you know for a girl majoring in nuclear engineering in Egypt your pretty much close minded.....

abdo375 said:
I don't know whether to get mad at or proud of you

Neither, why mad, and why proud??

first i am an AAST student in Egypt majoring in electronics and communication engineering and i think that to graduate from my college -with a good GPA- it needs as much work as any other university in Egypt

I've never said that any other university is better, the problem is the reputation, and i know humdreds of AAST graduates who had trouble with that, of course they managed later in a way or another to get something prestigious, but many Alex Uni. graduates were prefered...This is a fact, or else i'd have chosen of course a private uni, u verse more money and u get more facilities (labs...bla bla bla..)So read what I've wrote again.

i am sorry to say that but you know for a girl majoring in nuclear engineering in Egypt your pretty much close minded.....

Oh really? So majoring in nuclear engineering makes me closed minded nowadays?? That's how u make judgements...!
Or is that a pay back..huh??:eek:

Neither, why mad, and why proud??

Mad about what you said
Proud to find a girl in Egypt that is independent enough to join not only engineering but nuclear and judging by your posts decided to take it to the fullest in her carrier

I've never said that any other university is better, the problem is the reputation, and i know humdreds of AAST graduates who had trouble with that, of course they managed later in a way or another to get something prestigious, but many Alex Uni. graduates were prefered...This is a fact, or else i'd have chosen of course a private uni, u verse more money and u get more facilities (labs...bla bla bla..)So read what I've wrote again.

I have to say you right but in my defense i'd say that any company who'd rather take a graduate based on his univ. rather than on an interview showing his knowledge wouldn't be something i wish to work for, and thank god all the good companies in Egypt don't do that.

Oh really? So majoring in nuclear engineering makes me closed minded nowadays?? That's how u make judgements...!
Or is that a pay back..huh??

:smile: No it's not pay back time, but you pretty much understood the opposite of what i was trying to say

OOOOOOOOOOOOO and what did u try to say?

And yes, the good companies, these are few, aren't they? I had a friend graduated last year (communications like you), he's working in a very respectable company, although he struggled in his study,like u say they wouldn't judge by grades or universities, only that he needed to have a connection there to learn when will the interview take place!

I've another example, q civil engineer, who's now a manager in Alcatel, he's working as a communications engineer...He has never been a civil engineer, so nothing really matters when u work with these firms, but it's too bad that this is not the general case.

1. What university did you attend?

I attended [insert university name here].

2. What was your major in university?

My major was [insert major here].

3. Did you enjoy your university experience?

Yes, I had a great experience at university. I learned a lot and made many valuable connections.

4. How did your university education prepare you for your career?

My university education provided me with a strong foundation in my field of study and taught me important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication, which have been essential in my career.

5. Would you recommend your university to others?

Yes, I would definitely recommend my university to others. It has a great reputation, excellent faculty, and a diverse range of academic programs to choose from.