Where does most of your energy come from?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kevin_Axion
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy

Where does most of your energy come from in your community?


  • Total voters
    15
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 5K views
Kevin_Axion
Messages
912
Reaction score
3
Where does most your energy come from in your local community?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I came in this thread to tell where my energy comes from ...

It's from other people around me :biggrin:
 


micromass said:
I get my energy from locking people up in a computer simulation and by harvesting their body heath.
That's really really evil.

Hypothetically, though, how would I go about doing that? Hypothetically.
 


Ultimately my energy came from a giant cloud of hydrogen that collapsed about 4 billion years ago. Or the big bang. Whichever is more "in" these days. Oh, and cake. Mmmm cake...
 


our campus cogen plant runs on both oil and coal, it has two burners and two boilers.

it sucks when the inversion layer traps all that crap down low.
 


zoobyshoe said:
That's really really evil.

Hypothetically, though, how would I go about doing that? Hypothetically.

It's simple, you need only to build a 3D digitizer like in tron. It requires six synchronous lasers and a magnetic trap. Optical tweezers really makes the job a breeze for coding protein configurations (otherwise you have to interface your machine with some kind of x-ray crystallography table).

As far as I know, it's still in the experimental phase though. You have to spend more energy running the machine than you can actually harvest from your victims. But it breaks more even than cold fusion.
 


micromass said:
I get my energy from locking people up in a computer simulation and by harvesting their body heath.

:bugeye: *clears throat*
 
The local utility solds its generation as part of the deregulation strategy imposed by the state. Now they buy off the 'grid', which has a mix of generation.
 
Considering my energy comes off the nationwide grid the lions share of it is gas. Nice, expensive, extortionately priced gas...
 
Most of Maine's generating capacity is in the form of Hydro. There is a large oil-powered plant, and I think all of the paper mills have cogeneration agreements with the utilities. Maine is a net exporter of electricity, and we could probably supply all our own power with hydro without having to feed the grid.