Where does the energy of gravity come from?

In summary: I literally said that in the last part of my comment. Did you even read it?I did read it. And I don't think that the two body problem is easy or that a numerical solution exists. It's just a problem that needs solving. Do you think that the laws of nature preclude true statements about difficult solutions or numerical... something like that?I don't think that the laws of nature preclude any statements, but I do think that there are some difficult problems that have yet to be solved.In summary, the energy of gravity comes from the conversion of gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy.
Have we abandoned the B-level?

Likes Motore
Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
Have we abandoned the B-level?
@vanhees71 doesn't do B-level!

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Motore, Vanadium 50 and jbriggs444
haushofer said:
does the interpretation of gravity as an interaction then depend on the global topology of spacetime?
In the sense that finding that the global topology of our actual spacetime was not ##\mathbb{R}^4## would rule out the spin-2 field on flat spacetime interpretation, yes.

In fact, finding a different global topology might not even be necessary. One can argue that for the spin-2 field on flat spacetime interpretation to work, the actual spacetime must be asymptotically flat, so that the field goes to zero at infinity. But the spacetime of our actual universe is not asymptotically flat. So one can argue that that in itself is sufficient to rule out the spin-2 field on flat spacetime interpretation.

haushofer said:
in the end you end up with the full Einstein equations, which show that you could have started from every background you wanted
Not if you started by assuming a particular background. Then it doesn't matter that the field equations you end up with would, taken in isolation, allow other backgrounds--because on this interpretation the field equations can't be taken in isolation. They have to be taken in conjunction with the background assumption you made to derive them; any solution to the field equations that is not consistent with that background assumption cannot be allowed if you adopt this interpretation.

Likes Doutor