Gravitational Potential Energy During Nuclear Reactions

• Thread starter Juiced101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpe
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational potential energy and its relation to nuclear reactions and changes in mass. It is mentioned that the energy released during nuclear reactions is much smaller compared to the loss of gravitational potential energy. There is a question about the effect of mass changes on the gravitational force exerted by matter, and it is clarified that energy and mass both affect the gravitational field in general relativity. It is also mentioned that photons have a gravitational force.
Juiced101
A strange thought has occurred to me this morning. Each piece of matter has a huge amount of gravitational potential energy stored in the universe. My thought is that during nuclear reactions the large amounts of energy that are released would be tiny compared to the loss of gravitational potential out there. Where does the energy go? I've done a little reading and from what I can gather the changes in mass aren't exactly 'real' in the regular sense. I find this concept a little hard to grasp though. So I guess the question is during a nuclear reaction does the change in mass affect the gravitational force exerted by the matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Juiced101 said:
So I guess the question is during a nuclear reaction does the change in mass affect the gravitational force exerted by the matter?

Yes. As the sun loses energy through radiation and solar wind, it's mass and gravitational force is reduced. But this is only because the energy is being transferred from the sun to somewhere else. Energy is neither created nor destroyed anywhere.

Hey Juiced101,

Gravity is actually the weakest of the four forces in Nature. Consider the Sun -- it has enormous mass and suffers enormous forces that should make it collapse, but it does not. The energy liberated in the nuclear reactions in its core is sufficient to push the material outwards, balancing the inwards pull of gravity.

Nuclear reactions really do change the masses of the particles involved. When the Sun combines hydrogen nuclei into a helium nucleus, the helium nucleus weighs less than the sum of its parts. The "missing" mass is turned into energy, mostly in the form of high-energy photons.

- Warren

chroot said:
Hey Juiced101,

Gravity is actually the weakest of the four forces in Nature. Consider the Sun -- it has enormous mass and suffers enormous forces that should make it collapse, but it does not. The energy liberated in the nuclear reactions in its core is sufficient to push the material outwards, balancing the inwards pull of gravity.

Nuclear reactions really do change the masses of the particles involved. When the Sun combines hydrogen nuclei into a helium nucleus, the helium nucleus weighs less than the sum of its parts. The "missing" mass is turned into energy, mostly in the form of high-energy photons.

- Warren

Thanks warren for clarifying the loss of mass. What I'm asking is if the energy that these high energy photons contain has the equivalent gravitational force that the hydrogen had before fission. If the photons don't have a gravitational force where does the gravitational potential energy that the portion of mass that the hydrogen atoms had go?

If it isn't clear what I'm asking say imagine a tennis ball made of radioactive material a meter off the surface of the earth. If this decays and releases energy it has a lower mass than before and thus has lower gravitational potential energy. Where does that gravitational potential energy go? Do the high energy photons have a gravitational force?

Regards, Jason

1. What is gravitational potential energy during nuclear reactions?

Gravitational potential energy during nuclear reactions refers to the energy stored in the gravitational field between particles involved in the reaction. It is the energy needed to overcome the attractive forces between these particles and is released when the particles interact.

2. How does gravitational potential energy affect nuclear reactions?

Gravitational potential energy plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions as it influences the stability and binding energy of the atomic nucleus. The release of this energy is what powers nuclear reactions, such as fusion and fission reactions.

3. Can gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy during nuclear reactions?

Yes, during nuclear reactions, gravitational potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy and thermal energy. This conversion is what results in the release of large amounts of energy during nuclear reactions.

4. How is gravitational potential energy calculated during nuclear reactions?

The calculation of gravitational potential energy during nuclear reactions involves determining the mass and distance between the particles involved in the reaction. The larger the mass and the closer the particles are, the higher the potential energy.

5. Can gravitational potential energy be harnessed for practical use during nuclear reactions?

Currently, the harnessing of gravitational potential energy during nuclear reactions for practical use is still in the research and development stage. However, some proposed theories and technologies aim to utilize this energy source for clean and sustainable power generation in the future.