How energy is released during nuclear fission?

In summary, during a simple nuclear fission reaction, an uranium atom breaks into krypton and barium, releasing around 200 MeV of energy. The binding energy per nucleon of krypton and barium is larger than that of uranium, meaning that the excess masses of the fission fragments result in a decrease in mass, which is converted into kinetic energy of the decay products. Other radiations, such as neutrons, beta and gamma rays, also contribute to the energy released during fission.
aayush
In a simple nuclear fission reaction an uranium atom breaks into krypton and barium releasing around 200MeV.
Binding energy per nucleon (BE/A) of uranium = 7.6 MeV
And binding energy per nucleon of krypton an barium is just larger than that of uranium.
So in my view, around 200 MeV is used to increase the binding energy to bind the protons and neutrons in barium and krypton. ( I may be wrong ) But, from where the energy is released ( i.e energy from mass defect = 0.2253*951 = 208 MeV and around this amount of energy is used to increase the binding energy of barium and krypton)
Is there some thing else happening or I am wrong about binding energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
aayush said:

have a look at the following...
<http://www.world-nuclear.org/inform...e/introduction/physics-of-nuclear-energy.aspx>

actually 85% of the energy coming out is from kinetic energy of fission fragments...and these fragments decay to more stable products, other radiations also play a role..the delayed neutrons play a role in sustaining the chain reaction.

aayush said:
So in my view, around 200 MeV is used to increase the binding energy to bind the protons and neutrons in barium and krypton. ( I may be wrong ) But, from where the energy is released ( i.e energy from mass defect = 0.2253*951 = 208 MeV and around this amount of energy is used to increase the binding energy of barium and krypton)
the excess masses of 236 U, 95 Kr and 141Ba are respectively -42.52 MeV, -58.34 MeV and -79.97 MeV ... totals to about 180 mev

moreover taking the initial unit radius R0 = 1.48 fm and R1 and R2 the fragment radius at the point of contact

the maximum of the curve of fragment separation is found to be at 201 MeV.

so a neck formation takes place if it gets dipped by say 20 mev the threshold of fragmentation is reached.a detail analysis is presented in various textbooks or

in fission energy

the KE of fission fragments =165 MeV + other products neutrons , beta and gamma radiations, neutrinos add to about 35 Mev

The Atomic Nucleus by J. M. Reid, Penguin Library of Physical Sciences,London, 1972

aayush said:
So in my view, around 200 MeV is used to increase the binding energy to bind the protons and neutrons in barium and krypton.
Remember, although we usually give binding energy as a positive number, it is actually negative in its effect on the mass of the system. So if the total binding energy of barium and krypton is larger than the binding energy of uranium, the sum of the masses of the final nuclei (barium + krypton) is smaller than the mass of the initial nucleus (uranium). This decrease in mass goes into the kinetic energies of the decay products.

Thank You everyone i understood.

1. How does nuclear fission release energy?

Nuclear fission releases energy through the splitting of an atom's nucleus. When a large atom, such as uranium, is bombarded with a neutron, it can split into smaller atoms, releasing energy in the form of heat and radiation.

2. What is the source of energy in nuclear fission?

The source of energy in nuclear fission is the conversion of mass to energy, based on Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². During fission, a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy, which is released in the form of heat and radiation.

3. How is the energy from nuclear fission used?

The energy released during nuclear fission is used to generate electricity in nuclear power plants. The heat produced by the fission process is used to create steam, which turns turbines and generates electricity.

4. Can nuclear fission be controlled?

Yes, nuclear fission can be controlled. In a nuclear reactor, control rods made of materials like boron or cadmium are used to absorb excess neutrons and slow down the fission process. This allows for a steady release of energy and prevents a runaway reaction.

5. What are the potential risks of nuclear fission?

The potential risks of nuclear fission include the release of radioactive materials, which can be harmful to humans and the environment. The safe storage and disposal of nuclear waste is also a concern. In addition, accidents or malfunctions in nuclear power plants can have catastrophic consequences.