Where is a good place to find scientific images w/o violating copyright?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Images Scientific
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Simfish
Gold Member
Messages
811
Reaction score
2
Okay, so I'm thinking about creating a website about astronomy. One thing I'd like to do is to include a lot of figures from journal articles. But I fear that including these diagrams will violate copyright. Are there certain journals that pretty much allow anyone to post figures without violating copyright? I know that Wiki is a good place to start (as all the images there are under the creative commons license), but I'd like to highlight examples/figures that aren't on Wiki, since my website will be useless if it just gets everything from Wikipedia.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You could ask the publisher for permission to use the images, but I don't know how many of them would appreciate high-volume use on a public website. Alternately, if these are space pictures that you're looking for, many come from NASA / ESA anyways, and, IIRC, are public domain free for use (so long as attribution to NASA / ESA is maintained).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Messier51_sRGB.jpg
 
Oh okay. Yeah, I don't really care much for Hubble/space pictures (there are already enough of those sites); I care more about diagrams that actually explain the physical processes involved.