Where Is the Center of Mass in a Right Triangle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 14K views
preluderacer
Messages
83
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In the figure, a 60 cm length of uniform wire, of 60 g mass, is bent into a right triangle. The x- and y-coordinates of the center of mass, in cm, are closest to... I am going to explain the picture in my textbook.

The origin is at (0,0). It goes up 10 cm and to the right 24cm. The hyp is 26 cm


The Attempt at a Solution



What I did was get the points of a,b and c of each corner. Then I calculated average at each point. a = (0,0) b = (24,0) c= (0,10). In the x direction I got (0+24+0)/3 = 8 and the y direction I got (0+0+10)/3 = 3.33. So the center of mass is at (8,3.33). Does this look right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org