Where is the fifth energy level in relation to the fourth?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Tonia
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
Where is the fifth energy level in relation to the fourth energy level? Well, it shows that energy level five is at n= 5 and energy level four is at n=4 away from the nucleus, so that means that the fifth energy level is at the 16th orbital and energy level four is at the 25th orbital?? I am not exactly sure how to answer this.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
http://www.aplusinhometutors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/electron-shells.jpg
Electron-Shells.png

I forgot what this chart is called and my chem books are packed away so just draw a bohr model with it's sub shells and count them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
thankz said:
I forgot what this chart is called

It shows Aufbau principle.

The original question - as asked - doesn't make much sense to me. "Where is" is so ambiguous I have no idea what this question really asks.
 
In general chem it is explained that n=5 is "further" out from the nucleus. This is generally true until the d and f orbitalscare discussed. These orbital are "further" from the nucleus than n=6s. In physical chem the quantum mechanical model takes over and these distinctions are somewhat less assured.
 
thankz said:
http://www.aplusinhometutors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/electron-shells.jpg
Electron-Shells.png

I forgot what this chart is called and my chem books are packed away so just draw a bohr model with it's sub shells and count them.

Lewis electronic distribuition?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
TwistyBR said:
Lewis electronic distribuition?

Have you read the thread?