Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where is the fifth energy level in relation to the fourth?

1. Jul 2, 2015 #1
    Where is the fifth energy level in relation to the fourth energy level? Well, it shows that energy level five is at n= 5 and energy level four is at n=4 away from the nucleus, so that means that the fifth energy level is at the 16th orbital and energy level four is at the 25th orbital?? I am not exactly sure how to answer this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2015 #2
    http://www.aplusinhometutors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/electron-shells.jpg [Broken]
    Electron-Shells.png
    I forgot what this chart is called and my chem books are packed away so just draw a bohr model with it's sub shells and count them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jul 2, 2015 #3
    Thankyou

5. Jul 3, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It shows Aufbau principle.

The original question - as asked - doesn't make much sense to me. "Where is" is so ambiguous I have no idea what this question really asks.

6. Jul 3, 2015 #5
    In general chem it is explained that n=5 is "further" out from the nucleus. This is generally true until the d and f orbitalscare discussed. These orbital are "further" from the nucleus than n=6s. In physical chem the quantum mechanical model takes over and these distinctions are somewhat less assured.

7. Jul 4, 2015 #6
    Lewis electronic distribuition?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Jul 4, 2015 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Have you read the thread?

9. Jul 7, 2015 #8
    Well, sorry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook