Where is the fifth energy level in relation to the fourth?

In summary: To summarize the conversation, the individual is asking about the location of the fifth energy level in relation to the fourth energy level. They also mention a chart that shows the Aufbau principle. They are unable to find their chemistry books and ask for a Bohr model with its subshells to be drawn. Finally, they ask if the chart is called the Lewis electronic distribution. In summary, the conversation discusses the location of energy levels in relation to the nucleus and includes a request for a Bohr model with subshells and the possible name of the chart as the Lewis electronic distribution.
Tonia
Where is the fifth energy level in relation to the fourth energy level? Well, it shows that energy level five is at n= 5 and energy level four is at n=4 away from the nucleus, so that means that the fifth energy level is at the 16th orbital and energy level four is at the 25th orbital?? I am not exactly sure how to answer this.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
http://www.aplusinhometutors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/electron-shells.jpg [Broken]
Electron-Shells.png

I forgot what this chart is called and my chem books are packed away so just draw a bohr model with it's sub shells and count them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou

thankz said:
I forgot what this chart is called

It shows Aufbau principle.

The original question - as asked - doesn't make much sense to me. "Where is" is so ambiguous I have no idea what this question really asks.

In general chem it is explained that n=5 is "further" out from the nucleus. This is generally true until the d and f orbitalscare discussed. These orbital are "further" from the nucleus than n=6s. In physical chem the quantum mechanical model takes over and these distinctions are somewhat less assured.

thankz said:
http://www.aplusinhometutors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/electron-shells.jpg [Broken]
Electron-Shells.png

I forgot what this chart is called and my chem books are packed away so just draw a bohr model with it's sub shells and count them.

Lewis electronic distribuition?

Last edited by a moderator:
TwistyBR said:
Lewis electronic distribuition?

Have you read the thread?

Borek said:
Have you read the thread?
Well, sorry

Question 1: What is the fifth energy level in relation to the fourth?

The fifth energy level is the next highest energy level after the fourth. It is located further away from the nucleus and has a higher energy than the fourth energy level.

Question 2: How is the fifth energy level different from the fourth?

The fifth energy level is different from the fourth energy level in terms of its distance from the nucleus and its energy. The fifth energy level is further away and has a higher energy than the fourth energy level.

Question 3: Why is the fifth energy level important?

The fifth energy level is important because it represents the highest energy level that an electron can occupy in an atom. It also plays a crucial role in determining the chemical and physical properties of an element.

Question 4: How many electrons can the fifth energy level hold?

The fifth energy level can hold a maximum of 18 electrons. This is because the fifth energy level has a maximum of 5 sublevels, each of which can hold a maximum of 2, 6, 10, 14, and 18 electrons, respectively.

Question 5: What is the relationship between the fourth and fifth energy levels in terms of electron configuration?

The fourth and fifth energy levels have a direct relationship in terms of electron configuration. Electrons will always fill up the fourth energy level before moving on to the fifth energy level. This is because electrons occupy energy levels in order of increasing energy.