Where s the moving train on the embankment?

• Thread starter Grimble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, the concept of relativity of simultaneity means that observers in different frames of reference will perceive events as occurring at different times. This applies to the scenario described, where observers on a train and on an embankment will see events as occurring at different times due to their relative velocities. This also means that there is no "neutral observer" as every observer has their own frame of reference. Additionally, each frame of reference is equally valid and there is no preference given to one over the other. Therefore, a "neutral observer" would see the two entities aligning with each other when A passes A', as described by Einstein in his thought experiment.
Grimble said:
Like this?
Yes, that looks good to me except for one small but important detail. You have x and −x the wrong way round in Fig 2.

It's worth pointing out the two red lines on your two diagrams don't represent the same thing. The first goes from left to right, the second goes from right to left. If you wanted, you could draw both lines on both diagrams.

Is it all making sense now?

Physics news on Phys.org
DrGreg said:
Yes, that looks good to me except for one small but important detail. You have x and −x the wrong way round in Fig 2.

It's worth pointing out the two red lines on your two diagrams don't represent the same thing. The first goes from left to right, the second goes from right to left. If you wanted, you could draw both lines on both diagrams.

Is it all making sense now?

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2534/spacedgms.jpg

Thank you, DrGreg, for your assistence. I believe this is right now?

Grimble:smile::smile::approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, two things:

- You included an old version of fig. 1.
- I realize that you still have the wrong inclination of worldlines and x/x'-axis.

In order to answer your original question, you must draw accurate diagrams, with v=0.866.
I could provide the correct diagrams, but I think that would be counterproductive. Try it yourself. Ask if you're getting stuck.