1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where should I go to college for astrophysics?

Tags:
  1. May 8, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I'm hoping to end up with a PhD in astrophysics. Where should I go to college? I have a full ride at UMD College Park, and I got into UChicago. If I go to UMD, I'd probably double-major in aerospace engineering. Which school would be better at getting me to a good PhD program? Also, if I spend all my money on Chicago, I'm worried about not being able to afford grad school. Is this an issue? Thanks!

P.S. Any help would be greatly appreciated bc I have to decide tonight :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Probably not, at least as far as affording grad school is concerned. Ph.D. students in physics and presumably astrophysics also, normally receive enough funding to support a very basic lifestyle. I was even able to save a little bit of money during grad school, by always sharing an apartment, and not owning a car until near the end. (Disclaimer: this was > 30 years ago.)

However, if you rack up debt during undergrad, you probably won't be able to pay off much if any of it during grad school, so the interest will keep accumulating even though you won't actually have to pay anything until you finish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook