Where Should I Place Image Charges for a Conducting Wall and Charged Sphere?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
the_viewer
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



We have a conducting and grounded wall for [tex]z<0[/tex], so [tex]\Phi=0[/tex] for [tex]z<0[/tex]. In front of this wall, we place a homogeneous charged sphere with radius [tex]R[/tex] and total charge [tex]Q[/tex]. The center of the sphere has a distance of [tex]a[/tex] to the front of the wall.

http://david.muelheims.googlepages.com/image_charges.png

I need to find the electrostatic potential [tex]\Phi(\vec{x})[/tex] for [tex]z>0[/tex] with the method of image charges.
I just need the potential outside the sphere. I do not need to determine the potential inside the sphere.

So... Where do I place the image charges?

Homework Equations



All electrostatic equations.

The Attempt at a Solution



I placed a first image charge in the center of the sphere, because a charged sphere acts like a point-charge in it's center. So I can replace the sphere with a single point-charge.
Then I added a second image charge inside the wall with opposite charge [tex]-Q[/tex]. This second charged is placed exactly symmetrical to the first image charge.
So... if the first charge is placed by [tex]z=a[/tex], I have placed the second at [tex]z=-a[/tex].

Is this a correct/possible solution for this problem? Or do I need some different approaches here, because the wall has an effect on the charge on the sphere?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are going about this the correct way.