Where Should I try to learn more about thermodynamics and physics?

In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school who wants to learn more about thermodynamics and physics. They are looking for online courses but are unsure of where to find ones that are not too basic or too advanced. The responder suggests buying a book, specifically "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Young and Freedman, and using online resources like Physics Forums, MIT's online courses, and Richard Feynman's Lectures for additional help and understanding.
Marta Gomes
Hi,
I am a senior in high school and I want to learn more about thermodynamics and physics in general. Unfortunately, I don't have anything available at my high school.
I am trying to find online courses but I honestly don't know where to look at because some of the courses I've seen seem too basic and the others too advanced. I've looked at khan academy's website and I find their physics program kind of basic.
Can you reccomend me any online course?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest to buy a book. I would recommend University Physics with Modern Physics by Young and Freedman. Read the chapter and solve the exercises at the end. If you are stuck, ask questions here or look for videos on that topic. Also I would highly recommend MIT's courses which are online. Especially the courses by Dr Walter Lewin are highly praised. Also to get the conceptual understanding of physics, Richard Feynman's Lectures is a great source

Likes Marta Gomes
IssacNewton said:
I would suggest to buy a book. I would recommend University Physics with Modern Physics by Young and Freedman. Read the chapter and solve the exercises at the end. If you are stuck, ask questions here or look for videos on that topic. Also I would highly recommend MIT's courses which are online. Especially the courses by Dr Walter Lewin are highly praised. Also to get the conceptual understanding of physics, Richard Feynman's Lectures is a great source

Thank you!

1. What is the best way to learn about thermodynamics and physics?

The best way to learn about thermodynamics and physics is through a combination of textbooks, lectures, and hands-on experiments. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and basic physics concepts before diving into thermodynamics. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare can also be helpful in supplementing your learning.

2. Are there any specific books or resources that you would recommend for learning about thermodynamics?

Some highly recommended textbooks for learning about thermodynamics and physics include "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Çengel and Michael A. Boles, "Concepts in Thermal Physics" by Stephen J. Blundell and Katherine M. Blundell, and "Introduction to Modern Thermodynamics" by Dilip Kondepudi and Ilya Prigogine. Online resources such as Physics Classroom and HyperPhysics can also be helpful.

3. What are some important concepts or principles to focus on when learning about thermodynamics and physics?

Some key concepts and principles to focus on when learning about thermodynamics and physics include the laws of thermodynamics, thermodynamic processes and cycles, entropy, and heat transfer mechanisms. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic physics principles such as energy, work, and forces.

4. Are there any real-world applications or examples of thermodynamics and physics that can aid in understanding?

Yes, there are many real-world applications and examples of thermodynamics and physics that can aid in understanding. Some examples include refrigerators and heat pumps, engines and turbines, and energy conversion processes. It can also be helpful to observe and analyze everyday phenomena such as heat transfer in cooking or energy conversion in solar panels.

5. How can I practice and apply my knowledge of thermodynamics and physics?

Practicing and applying your knowledge of thermodynamics and physics is essential for solidifying your understanding. You can do this by solving practice problems, conducting experiments, and working on real-life projects. You can also join study groups or attend workshops to discuss and apply your knowledge with others. Additionally, pursuing internships or research opportunities in the field can provide hands-on experience and further enhance your understanding.