Where should the proton be placed to balance F?

In summary, Homework Equations have a point charge of -0.5nC at the origin, and F=kQ1Q2/r^2. Substituting 1 for q1 (the proton) and -0.35x10^-9 for q2 (the point charge) yields F=1.64x10^-26. The equation for r is found using r= -4.148x10^-46m.
macaco

Homework Statement

A point charge q = -0.5nC is fixed at the origin. Where must a proton be placed in order for the electrical force acting on it to be exactly opposite its weight?

Homework Equations

F=
k(q1)(q2)
------------
r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to solve for distance (r), but coming across a few problems;

If the force acting on it is exactly opposite its weight, does this make F=0?

should I be substituting 0 for F?
Where would I substitute -0.5? in q1 or q2?
And what would I place in the other?

?

Physics news on Phys.org
A tips for the force: When you break out r you will need to take the square root, the value inside must be positive to yield a non-imaginary number. What does this say about the force?
It can't be zero, because then you would have to divide by zero, which gives a non-defined answer.

For the charges, it doesn't matter if the proton is q1 or q2, the same goes for the point charge. The expression won't change.

KQ1Q2/r^2=mg

Anden, I substitute 1 for q1 (the proton) and -0.35 x 10^-9 for q2 (the point charge)?

so I now have;
F=
K (1)(-0.35x10^-9)
---------------
r^2

Dadface, were you saying I should use F=m.g to find the value of force?
g would be 9.8,
what would m be?

would I use the mass of an electron (9.1×10^-31kg)

the equation I now have is;
F= (9.1x10^-31)x(9.8). This equals 8.918x10^-30.
therefore;
8.918x10^-30=
(9x10^9)x(1)(-0.35x10^-9)
---------------
r^2

Then solve for r?

A proton does not have the charge 1 C, that is the charge of 6,215 * 10^18 protons.

Dadface equation is almost right, with one modification "mg" needs to be replaced by "-mg", this is needed to ensure a positive result inside the square root.

The mass you must is the one for the proton, its mass is roughly 1840 times bigger than the electrons

so F=(9.81)x(1.672x10^-27) => F=1.64x10^-26

the last thing I'm confused about is what to substitute for q1 and q1?
I know they are the point charges, and that one of them = -0.35x10^-9.
How do I figure out what the other point charge is?
Once I have that I should be good to go.

=]

The charge on the proton is 1.6 times ten to the power of minus nineteen Coulombs

Last edited:
Protons and electrons have the same charge, but with different signs. Protons are positive 1 e, and electrons are negative 1 e (-1 e). I gave you a hint for the charge of the proton, if 1 C equals 6,242E18 Protons (The value I posted above is wrong, sorry about that), what is the charge of one proton?

The equation would now read;
(1.64x10^-26) = (8.99x10^9) (1.6x10^-19)(-0.35x10^-9)
------------​
r^2​
is that right?

rearrange the equation to make r the subject.

solve the equation, giving me;
r= -4.148x10^-46m
?

Hopefully I have it right. AT least I now have some sort of clue on how to solve it at the worst.
Thanks so much for the incredible patience Anden and Dadface.
I only see my physics teacher every thursday so if I get stuck on something it drives me insane.

still a bit unsure on this;
q1 (the electron) has a charge of -3.5 x 10^-9 C
q2 (the proton) has a charge of 1.6 x 10^-19 C

to find F;
F = m.g
m of an electron is; 9.1 x 10^-31
g is; 9.8

therefore F= 8.9 x 10^-30 N

the equation will now be;
8.9 x 10^-30=
9 x 10^9 x (-3.5 x 10^-9)(1.6 x 10^-19)
----------------------​
r^2​

according to my most recent calculations, r = -1.79 x 10^-28m

?

1. Where should the proton be placed to balance F?

The proton should be placed in a position where its positive charge is equal and opposite to the negative charge of the fluorine atom, creating a neutral and stable molecule.

2. How does the placement of the proton affect the balance of F?

The placement of the proton directly affects the balance of F as it determines the overall charge of the molecule. If the proton is placed too close or too far from the fluorine atom, the molecule will become either positively or negatively charged, disrupting the balance.

3. Can the proton be placed anywhere to balance F?

No, the proton cannot be placed anywhere to balance F. It must be placed in a specific location in order to achieve a balanced molecule. The distance between the proton and the fluorine atom must also be taken into consideration.

4. How do other elements in the molecule affect the placement of the proton to balance F?

The other elements in the molecule can have an impact on the placement of the proton to balance F. For example, if there are other atoms with a negative charge, the proton may need to be placed farther away from the fluorine atom to achieve balance.

5. What happens if the proton is not placed correctly to balance F?

If the proton is not placed correctly to balance F, the molecule will become either positively or negatively charged, disrupting the balance. This can lead to chemical instability and potentially affect the reactivity and properties of the molecule.