Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to buy a pure semiconductor?

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    I do not know if this question relates to this division and would appreciate if it would be moved to proper division.

I want to buy a piece of fine, pure, highly doped semiconductor with dimensions approximately:
    7 cm X 7 cm X 1 cm (2 in. X 2 in. X 1/2 in.) It supposed to be just fine and well polished piece of material without any electronic components. In which type of stores it is best to look for?
    No online trade or stores please.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a surplus silicon dealer. If you don't want to order online, you can hoof it to Mound, Texas:
    http://www.novawafers.com/siliconSurplus.php

Otherwise, try lab supply houses. No online trade, huh? Trying to evade the NSA or some kind of embargo?

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cool ... I didn't know one could buy blank wafers ... I assumed it was all inhouse with chip manufacturers

haha that thought also went through my mind :wink:

BTW .. isn't pure and highly doped a bit of a contradiction ?

Dave

5. Sep 16, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yah. The operative word about the wafers was that they were 'surplus' to the chip makers needs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook