Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Pure semiconductor Quantum Dots?

1. Feb 25, 2017 #1
    Can you create pure semiconductor quantum dots? I have seen composite ones that are created with elements in the group II-VI and III-V. Moreover, it saids that the size of the quantum dots must smaller than the Bohr Excitron Radius. From my understanding of the Bohr Exciton Radius is the distance between the electron and hole encountered in semiconductors. How is it possible for the electron and hole to be a distance greater than that of the material?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2017 #2
    What do you mean by a 'pure' semiconductor, do you mean where the dot is composed of only one element? In which case, have you tried searching for silicon or germanium quantum dots? A quick google search of silicon quantum dot revealed plenty of results, including the basic quantum dot Wikipedia page, which details the synthesis of silicon and germanium quantum dots.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted