Such vanity. Eh, humans are geared more towards aesthetics anyway, so like seeing beautiful vistas we like to look decent I guess. But I mean, why would a person want to look like someone dressed out of GQ at a physics presentation event? Not like there will be top of the line models there, although there are some pretty women there don't get me wrong, but I don't think going the extra mile to look like a model will win you favors except from the ladies and some men. Other men when seeing the women clamor and gawk will rush over to try and put you in your place.
Expect to be challenged heavily on the material you're presenting. If you aren't presenting, still expect a challenge out of the blue if you so happen to be chatting up the best looking female physicist there. Sadly, we haven't escaped the evolutionary pressures of finding a mate and instead of winning the female over by brawn (at least in these types of settings) looks and smarts play a much bigger role, so the lesser facially pleasing males will try to challenge you like it is a script taken from national geographic.