Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to Find Energy in Joules of Particle Accelerators

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    I am looking to find the energy of particle accelerator beams in Joules, as the energy given in the URL here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accelerators_in_particle_physics

only gives the energy of each proton. I am looking at all the particle accelerators still active today, and I have only found the energy per beam in joules for the LHC and the RHIC. Is there an equation or reasoning I can use to find the answer or a website with a chart or information of all the energies per beam in joules? Thank you! The URL's for the LHC and RHIC energy are listed below:

http://www.whale.to/b/brookhaven_particle_beam_energy.html
    http://lhc-machine-outreach.web.cern.ch/lhc-machine-outreach/beam.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's energy per particle time the number of particles per bunch times the number of bunches. You'll probably have to go to the site of each accelerator to get those numbers.

4. Jun 4, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you are just interested in the record: the LHC has by far the most energy stored in the beams.
    And even more stored energy in the magnets.

5. Jun 4, 2015 #4
    I know that part but I'm mapping out energy radii of every particle accelerator to see if they can cause earthquakes for an English essay. I read an article about the LHC being connected to earthquakes in Nepal so I made a map of all the particle accelerators active today and the fault lines of the planet and want to draw a radius of how far the beams' energy would go out of the accelerator when gotten rid of.

6. Jun 4, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

That topic does not make sense at all.
    Not at all, they stop in beam dumps that are a few meters long. Muons can get a bit further, maybe 100 meters - so what. The total energy in the beams is completely negligible in terms of geology as well.
    You can find crackpot stuff for everything, that does not mean it would be relevant in any way.

7. Jun 4, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Crackpot nonsense.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_2015. Do you see a change in the number of earthquakes coincident with LHC running? I sure don't. Furthermore, there are about 30,000 accelerators in operation. Are you going to include them all in your essay?

8. Jun 4, 2015 #7
    I included the major ones. And I don't believe it, I just wanted to show how even if what they're saying is happening, the accelerators won't cause earthquakes. I already saw that there are actually less earthquakes in recent years compared to earlier ones

9. Jun 5, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, you included the famous ones.

10. Jun 5, 2015 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Imagination is good up to a point... After that the mind gets sick and life becomes a fairytale... I can't understand how the minds of the people who wrote it work... Even if there were to be earthquakes, they should have been near the LHC and not to the other side of the earth (probably they don't know geography, and think Nepal is a region somewhere in Europe or even a city, and confuse Himalayas for the Swiss Alps). Even if that was not the problem, then we get strikes from cosmic rays, how would some extra events with low intensity (have to travel through the whole earth??) cause such an earthquake?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  11. Jun 5, 2015 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And manage to go backward in time. The 7.8 magnitude earthquake in Nepal was before LHC collisions.

Like I said, it's crackpot nonsense.

12. Jun 5, 2015 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This topic is sillier than the lawsuit to stop the LHC due to blackholes destroying the earth.

There are thousands of particle accelerators in this world. Your doctor's office may even have one! Unless there is a legitimate physics that links accelerators and earthquakes, this is crackpottery and should be dealt with accordingly by our forum rules.

Zz.

13. Jun 5, 2015 #12

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Well it would be "just for fun" to work this out and see what you find, but for sure not taken seriously...

14. Jun 5, 2015 #13

mfb

2016 Award

There is nothing left to add...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook