Where to Obtain Fairy Shrimp for Allelopathy Project in California?

• Thread starter Malugabosh
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate planning a project involving testing allelopathic chemicals on fairy shrimp populations in vernal pools. They are looking for a native fairy shrimp species, specifically Linderiella occidentalis or Streptocephalus nealii, but are unsure of where to obtain them. They have asked if anyone knows where they can obtain cysts, as long as the population is located in or near California. They are also wondering if speaking to an advisor or faculty member at their university would be helpful in finding these samples.
Malugabosh
I am an undergraduate at a California University. I am planning a project involving the testing of allelopathic chemicals of european pennyroyal on fairy shrimp populations in disturbed vernal pools. To do this, I need a native fairy shrimp species. I have my eyes on Linderiella occidentalis or Streptocephalus nealii, but I do not know where to obtain them. The one place I have found did not give a species ID beyond genus. Would you guys happen to know where I might obtain cysts? Really, anything that has a population in or near California would be awesome.

Biology news on Phys.org
Have you to an advisor or faculty member at your university? I would think that the biology faculty with whom you are working would have experience in ordering samples.

Related to Where to Obtain Fairy Shrimp for Allelopathy Project in California?

1. Where can I find fairy shrimp?

Fairy shrimp can typically be found in temporary bodies of water such as vernal pools, seasonal ponds, and flooded fields. They are also found in some permanent lakes and ponds, but are more commonly found in temporary bodies of water.

2. Do fairy shrimp live in saltwater or freshwater?

Fairy shrimp can live in both saltwater and freshwater environments, but they are more commonly found in freshwater. They are highly adaptable to different salinity levels and can survive in a wide range of water conditions.

3. How do I catch fairy shrimp?

The most effective way to catch fairy shrimp is by using a small mesh net or a turkey baster. Gently scoop the water and debris from the bottom of the body of water and transfer it to a container. Allow the water to settle and the fairy shrimp will swim to the surface.

4. Can I keep fairy shrimp as pets?

Yes, fairy shrimp can be kept as pets in a small aquarium or container. They require clean, dechlorinated water and a source of food, such as algae or small particles of fish food. It is important to regularly clean the tank and provide fresh water to ensure the health of the fairy shrimp.

5. Are fairy shrimp endangered?

Some species of fairy shrimp are considered endangered due to habitat loss and pollution. It is important to obtain fairy shrimp ethically and not disturb their natural habitats. If you are interested in keeping fairy shrimp as pets, it is best to purchase them from a reputable breeder or source that ethically collects them.

Back