Where Will the Plane Be When the Package Hits the Ground?

• Thread starter Yosty22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, when a pilot drops a package from a plane flying horizontally at a constant speed, neglecting air resistance, the horizontal location of the plane when the package hits the ground will be directly over the package. This is because the X component of velocity is the same for both the plane and the package, and the only difference is the height.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

A pilot drops a package from a plane, flying horizontally at a constant speed. Neglecting air resistance, when the package hits the ground, the horizontal location of the plane will
A. Be in front of the package
B. Be over the package
C. Be behind the package
D. Depend on the speed of the plane when the package was released

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answer is B. My thinking was: Since the plane is flying at a constant speed, the X component of velocity is the same throughout the flight. If the package is dropped from the plane, the X component of velocity will be the same for the package as it falls (since air resistance is neglected) so the only difference is the height. The plane should be directly over the package when it finally reaches the ground.
Is this correct? I am not flawed in my logic, am I?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you're right. That's exactly what would happen without air resistance; the plane and the package will have the exact same velocity during the time the package falls, same speed and same direction.

Related to Where Will the Plane Be When the Package Hits the Ground?

1. What is "Conceptual Velocity Question"?

"Conceptual Velocity Question" refers to a concept in science where the speed at which new ideas and concepts are developed and understood is measured. It is a way to track the progress of scientific advancement and innovation.

2. How is "Conceptual Velocity Question" measured?

There is no specific unit of measurement for "Conceptual Velocity Question". It is a qualitative concept that can be observed and evaluated based on the frequency and impact of new ideas and concepts in a particular field of science.

3. Why is "Conceptual Velocity Question" important in the scientific community?

"Conceptual Velocity Question" is important because it reflects the rate of progress and growth in a particular field of science. It can also indicate the level of collaboration and communication among scientists, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively.

4. Can "Conceptual Velocity Question" be improved or increased?

Yes, "Conceptual Velocity Question" can be improved or increased through various methods such as encouraging interdisciplinary collaborations, promoting open communication and sharing of ideas, and providing resources for research and development.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Conceptual Velocity Question" as a measure of scientific progress?

Yes, there are limitations to using "Conceptual Velocity Question" as a measure of scientific progress. It may not accurately reflect the quality or impact of new ideas and concepts, and it may also be influenced by external factors such as funding and political agendas.