How high was the package above the ground when it was thrown

• Thread starter Perseverence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary: If you want to know how high the object was at the time it reached y=0, you would need to solve for y0.
Perseverence

Homework Statement

( p 49 sterling)
Ignoring air resistance, if it takes 16 seconds for a package to strike the ground, how high above the ground was a package when it was thrown upward from the stationary helicopter at 15 m/s per second[/B]

Homework Equations

V=Vo+at
D=Vot+(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems pretty straightforward that the solution would be the distance from the initial throw upward to the upward velocity becoming zero.
V=Vo+at
0=15+(-10)t
1.5 sec =time (to Vy=0)

Then plugging in 1.5sec into
D=Vot+(1/2)at^2 to get 11.28m. But that is not the solution in the book. The solution in the book is 1040m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perseverence said:

Homework Statement

( p 49 sterling)
Ignoring air resistance, if it takes 16 seconds for a package to strike the ground, how high above the ground was a package when it was thrown upward from the stationary helicopter at 15 m/s per second[/B]

Homework Equations

V=Vo+at
D=Vot+(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems pretty straightforward that the solution would be the distance from the initial throw upward to the upward velocity becoming zero.
V=Vo+at
0=15+(-10)t
1.5 sec =time (to Vy=0)

Then plugging in 1.5sec into
D=Vot+(1/2)at^2 to get 11.28m. But that is not the solution in the book. The solution in the book is 1040m.
You are making a massive mistake and missing steps. You are calculating how far up the book will go when its velocity becomes 0. That is 11.28.

However, the question asks for how high up the helicopter is, not how high the book went up before it became 0.

Try again.

lekh2003 said:
You are making a massive mistake and missing steps. You are calculating how far up the book will go when its velocity becomes 0. That is 11.28.

However, the question asks for how high up the helicopter is, not how high the book went up before it became 0.

Try again.
if you are in a helicopter and something in the air, when it reaches as high as it will go, it's Vertical Velocity will be zero. That is the distance from the helicopter
lekh2003 said:

Try again.

Oh my gosh
You're right, I was calculating the wrong distance! I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thank you so much for your help!

Likes lekh2003
Perseverence said:
Oh my gosh
You're right, I was calculating the wrong distance! I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thank you so much for your help!
It's good that you realized. You're welcome.

The equation you are looking for is the kinematic equation for 1D vertical motion with no air drag. y = y0 + v0 t - gt^2 / 2 , t is the time of flight from y0 to y=0.

1. How do you measure the height of the package when it was thrown?

The height of the package can be measured using a measuring tool, such as a ruler or measuring tape. Alternatively, if you have access to the location where the package was thrown, you can physically measure the distance from the ground to the point where the package was released.

2. What factors affect the height of the package when it was thrown?

The height at which the package was thrown is affected by the force and angle with which it was thrown, as well as the gravitational pull of the Earth. Other factors such as air resistance and wind may also play a role in determining the package's height.

3. Can the height of the package be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the height of the package can be calculated using the formula h = vit + ½at2, where h is the height, vi is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. However, this formula assumes ideal conditions and may not be completely accurate in real-life scenarios.

4. How accurate will the calculated height be compared to the actual height?

The accuracy of the calculated height will depend on various factors such as the precision of the measurements and the accuracy of the formula used. In ideal conditions, the calculated height should be very close to the actual height, but in real-life scenarios, there may be some margin of error.

5. Can technology be used to measure the height of the package when it was thrown?

Yes, technology such as motion sensors and video analysis can be used to measure the height of the package when it was thrown. This can provide more accurate results compared to manual measurements, but the margin of error may still exist due to various factors.