Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which axis does flux pinngin work on?

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    i've seen all the super conductors and how it fixes a magnetic field and then levitates, but on which direction does it fixes?
    for example:
    if there was a solenoid pointing upwards(the empty middle is vertical) and moving from the axis of -Y to +Y and a ring of super conductor places higher than the solenoid in terms of the z-axis and is going from +x to -x; would it lock the superconductor and stay at the same place? or would they not interact with each other?

my idea is that for something like iss; a rocket is sent upwards maybe at an angle of 30 degrees to the solenoid, the iss makes a big solenoid coiling towards earth's perpendicular; and then the rocket is the super conductor and then it comes into intercepting point but they are in different dept of z-axis; so if they could lock each other together and then after locking, the iss can extend a bridge and get the stuff instead of having the most precise calculation, they might not need to delay the launches if there was a stronger wind oe something like that

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Flux pinning usually fixes the superconductor in a specific place.

I have no idea what you mean here.
    Where is the relation between flux pinning and rocket launches?
    How do you want to build a coil through the whole atmosphere?
    How do you accelerate stuff to ~8km/s (speed of the ISS)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook