Which Bearings Provide the Lowest Friction for a Scotch Yoke?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Chris Hill
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have been researching this topic for a while, and I wanted to get some feedback from people with more experience than myself.

I want to create a slider, suspended by linear bearings, that will act as a scotch yoke. I'm wondering what type of bearings will give me the lowest energy loss to friction.

There are a couple of elements in play here:
-The bearing will only be suspending 5-10lbs of weight.
-The force causing the slider to reciprocate will be applied at a 45 degree angle from the direction of the slider's motion.
-The machine will have many iterations per minute (~1000+), and therefore needs resilient bearings.

Do I use ball bearings or slip bearings? Is there a go-to manufacturer?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a sketch or something you can post to show what you mean by the 45* angle?