Which colleges in Kentucky would you recommend for physics?

• Schools
  • Thread starter cordless03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, UKY is a good school for physics preparation, but it has some drawbacks. UofL is also a good school, but it has more research opportunities.
cordless03
I am currently at a community college. If I decided to do physics, I would want to go to graduate school. Which universities do you think would give me the best preparation for graduate school? I was looking at either UofL or UKY.

Physics news on Phys.org
I went to UKY for a project spring through the summer 2018, they’re generally a good school for physics and most of the faculty were nice and knowledgeable. A few points at UKY:

Their upper division physics classes are normally almost all during the morning. That is, most start around 8 or 9. There are exceptions to this however, but that is what I noticed. Also classes are generally short but numerous, one class I took there, upper division mechanics was MWF from 8 until 9:15ish? I think it was. Classes are most either TThur or MWF. No Friday’s off here, like I was used to.

The physics department is small, which can be good and bad. Course selection is limited to what most would consider the barebones of a physics undergrad: UD C.M. 1 and 2, E&M 1 and 2, QM 1 and 2 and statistical physics. They also have advanced undergradtue labs and what not, but finding upper division courses on fluid dynamics/plasma/accelerator physics or any such subtopic will be limited at best. Another point of consternation for myself was that some courses are only offered during specific semeasters. So if you fail or have to withdraw from a course it may be a year before you can retake it. Some courses seem to be offered only once every few years.

The school of arts and sciences demands that science students study two years of language there, so four courses in a secondary language. Just be aware of that requirement, I was surprised this was a requirement for physics students there.

The facilities are quite good, the gym was newish and not too croweded after the first two weeks of the semester. If you’re into lifting weights.

Physics majors are encouraged to double major there, and it quite easy to add a second major in math. Adding a second major in computer science or an engineering discipline is also available but not as easy.

Parking sucks, same as ever college campus anywhere. The dorms are shitty and have inane personnel controls in place, unlike my home college.

The university has weird drop/refund/add deadlines. After the first week you’re on the hook for 20% of the tutuion even if you drop. After two weeks it’s like 50%. So you can’t really enroll in a course and check it out first. This is just a guesstimate from what I remember, but I think it’s close.

It’s a research university, and you should be able to find a group to do research with while there.

Sports if you’re into those. It is UKY after all.

Never been to Louisville, no idea what that campus is like.

Also a word of advice, the jump from CC physics to UD C.M. is a big one, maybe pick up Taylor’s book and go through it in your spare time before university. Also make sure you have a good grasp of math and how to visualize it.

Likes berkeman and cordless03

1. What are the top colleges in Kentucky for studying physics?

Some of the top colleges in Kentucky for studying physics include the University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, and Western Kentucky University.

2. Are there any smaller, lesser-known colleges in Kentucky with strong physics programs?

Yes, there are several smaller colleges in Kentucky with strong physics programs, such as Murray State University and Centre College. These schools may not have as much name recognition as larger universities, but they still offer high-quality education in physics.

3. Are there any specific concentrations or specializations within physics that certain Kentucky colleges excel in?

Yes, while all of the top colleges in Kentucky offer a solid foundation in physics, some may have particular strengths in certain areas. For example, the University of Kentucky has a strong nuclear physics program, while the University of Louisville has a focus on biophysics.

4. Do any of the colleges in Kentucky have opportunities for undergraduate research in physics?

Yes, many colleges in Kentucky offer undergraduate research opportunities in physics. For example, Western Kentucky University has a dedicated physics research lab for students, and Centre College has a summer research program for undergraduates in various scientific fields.

5. Can you recommend a specific college in Kentucky for someone interested in pursuing a career in physics?

It ultimately depends on the individual's specific interests and goals, but some highly recommended options in Kentucky include the University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, and Murray State University. These schools offer strong physics programs and have a track record of producing successful graduates in the field.