Which Degree for Building a Time Machine?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's desire to build a time machine and which degree, physics or engineering, would be most useful for achieving this goal. They mention the costs and materials involved, including the idea that a spaceship could be used as a time machine. The conversation also brings up the example of Ronald Mallett, who was inspired by H.G. Wells to build a time machine to save his father's life. The speaker also mentions the importance of staying sane and presenting their ideas in a rational manner when seeking funding for their research. Overall, the recommendation is to study physics and focus on researching areas of general relativity that may lead to the development of time travel technology.
Jonnyb42
I KNOW that this has been asked many times before so I will put it in a way that is not as similar as the rest. My true goal is a bit far fetched so I will just say that I would like to build a time machine. What my question is, which should I study the most, and mainly in college because I am a senior in high school and am debating between physics and aerospace engineering, (or perhaps some other engineering). With that goal in mind, to build a time machine that is, what is ideal to get a degree in, some kind of engineering or physics, including costs of building such a thing and acquiring the materials and so on. (This "time machine" could just be a spaceship for example) My question is, having stated my goal; Which should I get a degree in, physics or engineering.

This stems from the fact that I actually would like to just study physics. The problem is that if I do that then when m a43se56dxcnbu7v8yibon98uboiuhijii

asparagus

Physics news on Phys.org
A degree in physics would probably be better since you would be on the fore front of research in order to even begin tackling this.

Also I am reminded of Ronald Mallett:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Mallett

He was inspired to build a time Machine by H.G. Wells and the desire to stop his father's death.
If it wasn't for the Phd I would call him crazy :)

Jonnyb42 said:
With that goal in mind, to build a time machine that is, what is ideal to get a degree in, some kind of engineering or physics, including costs of building such a thing and acquiring the materials and so on.

Definitely physics, since you'd have to some basic research.

Physics or aerospace engineering would be good choices. Since the energy required to make a rip in space time is so astronomical the only plausible way to make a time machine right now would be using a space ship. If you went into aerospace engineering you could work on developing more advanced space ships that could someday be used for time travel. If you went into physics you could work on theories to figure out how to find negative matter or figure out how much negative matter it would take to hold open a black hole while a ship traveled through it.

There is a very long way to go before the technology is there to make time travel a possibility. You should look into what technology is needed and see if one of those areas interest you and base your career decision on that.

Redd said:
He was inspired to build a time Machine by H.G. Wells and the desire to stop his father's death. If it wasn't for the Phd I would call him crazy :)

Every good physics theoreticians that I've met is "half-crazy." You have to be crazy enough think up new ideas, but be non-crazy enough so that you look at your ideas with cold skeptical, and look normal when you need to. When you go Congress and NSF for funding to build your time machine, it's probably a bad idea to say "I WANT TO BUILD A TIME MACHINE."

The way to phrase things is to say that you are doing basic research in general relativity. Since there are parts of GR that suggest that time machines may be possible, what you want to do is to get money to investigate those areas so that you can prove that closed time-like loops are impossible. One key to being productively crazy is to know when and how to look sane.

1. What degree do I need to have to build a time machine?

There is no specific degree for building a time machine as it requires expertise in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. However, having a degree in any of these fields can provide a strong foundation for understanding the concepts and principles involved in time travel.

2. Can I build a time machine with just a degree in physics or engineering?

No, building a time machine requires a multidisciplinary approach. While having a degree in physics or engineering can be beneficial, it is essential to have knowledge and skills in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and even philosophy to successfully build a time machine.

3. Is a higher degree like a PhD necessary for building a time machine?

Having a higher degree can certainly be helpful in understanding the complexities of time travel and conducting advanced research. However, it is not a requirement. Many successful scientists and inventors have built time machines without having a PhD.

4. Do I need to attend a specific university or program to learn how to build a time machine?

There is no specific university or program that offers a degree in time machine building. However, there are various courses and research opportunities available in universities that cover the necessary concepts and principles for building a time machine. It is recommended to research and choose a program that aligns with your interests and strengths.

5. How long does it take to learn how to build a time machine?

Building a time machine is a complex and challenging task that requires a significant amount of time and dedication. It is not something that can be learned in a short period. It can take years of study, research, and experimentation before one can successfully build a time machine.