1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Which engineering uses the most physics on the job?

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1
    I always hear that mechanical engineers (at least ones without a ton of experience) rarely ever do any math. I really enjoy studying mechanical engineering right now, and I really want to make sure that the stuff I'm studying is what I'll be using on the job.

How does a mechanical engineer (or any engineer) avoid doing work on CATIA all day, and instead do actual calculations and applied physics problems, and which engineering leans more towards the "solving applied physics problems" side?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know that it's so much a matter of selecting an appropriate "branch" of engineering as it is the actual job that you end up doing, and then the trajectory of your career. In a lot of entry level jobs the company likely won't want to have new hires working on complex problems. But as you progress the opportunities will be there, particularly if you seek them out. In my experience, people tend to gravitate towards the kinds of work that they enjoy doing in the long term. When they feel "stuck" it's often temporary.

4. Jan 7, 2017 #3
    I think Electrical Engineering has some of the most interesting physics in it. That's why I chose it as my engineering field.

5. Jan 8, 2017 #4
    Most of my career, I've viewed it as my job to recognize the applications of physics and math to the interests of my employers and clients. Often, they do not fully recognize the full range of how physics can be applied to help their bottom line or address their interests.

If you wait for employers and clients to realize how you can help them, there will be much less physics in your life.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted