Which Fit Should Be Chosen When Goodness of Fit Values Are Close?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
3,372
Reaction score
465
Suppose I want to find a model for a background from the data of it...
One way is to try different fittings and compare the values of their ##\chi^2/NDF## if they're close to 1 or not.

However what happens when two fits are really close to one? For example if I take a ##M_{\gamma \gamma}## background for a Higgs, and apply an exponential drop fit or a polynomial of deg=2 fit, I am getting values: 0.975(expon) and 0.983 (polynomial)...
Physically I think the exponential is a better fitting function, but the statistics is telling me that the polynomial fits best...?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lies, damn lies, statistics !

Hard to say anything sensible without something to look at. Is there a significant difference between the .975 and .983 ?
 
I will post some figures and the printed results tomorrow because I don't have them in this machine.
 
So here I have the plots of the background fitted with Exponential [itex]p_0 e^{p_1 x}[/itex] and Poly2 [itex]p_0 + p_1 x +p_2x^2[/itex]

The [itex](\chi^2/NDF)_{exp}=102.4/118 \approx 0.868[/itex]
And [itex](\chi^2/NDF)_{pol2}=104.2/117 \approx 0.8905[/itex]

Typically I would say that the goodness of fit test tells me that both pol2 and expo are good to fit the data (compared to other tests I tried)...with pol2 being a little better , but expo being the physically motivated one.
 
Attachments
  • Expo.png
    Expo.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 555
  • POL2.png
    POL2.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 548
Last edited: