Which guru awards will we have this year?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, Last year's awards consisted of "serious" categories such as Physics Guru, Math Guru, Engineering Guru, Biology Guru, Chemistry Guru, Astronomy & Cosmology Guru, Technology Guru, and Philosophy Guru. There were also "fun" categories for Community Spirit Award and Funniest Member Award. The award for the Funniest Member went to tribdog. Additionally, there was a category for "Most Improved Member" but it was dropped due to lack of nominations. The possibility of adding a category for "Most Improved Member" is being discussed. Another suggestion was the creation of the PF Darwin Award for the member who has done the most stupid thing on the forum.
Well, since I'm in no Danger of winning any prize other than PF's own Darwin Award (Finch Award??), I am rather relaxed about it..

Physics news on Phys.org
arildno said:
Well, since I'm in no Danger of winning any prize other than PF's own Darwin Award (Finch Award??), I am rather relaxed about it..
But Danger is in Danger because of you! :tongue2:

People campaign?!

Otherwise it wouldn't be interesting!

PF is already way too "interesting".

zoobyshoe said:
People campaign?!
Not seriously. It was only in GD and all done in fun. But you can't expect people nominated for the funniest member to just sit around and watch quietly, do you? Though I'm quite miffed that the winner just took his ribbon and then stopped being funny. :grumpy: It'll be a tough race this year between you, Artman and Danger, I'm just not sure who I would vote for if you're all nominated. It might be like the Grammy Awards, where you really end up voting for the person you would have voted for last year if there wasn't so much other good competition, and then next year you vote for the person who you would have voted for this year if there wasn't that person from last year still deserving...:tongue2: And then there's the consideration of who I'd most like to see thrown into the volcano...it's really a tough call.

Oh, here's something worth inquiring about...will last year's winners be eligible in the same category again this year? Or should we be prepared to pass the torch on to someone new? I rather like the idea of not being eligible in two consecutive years (despite all the joking last year of my aspirations to have the longest running guru record at PF). I know there are new people in biology worthy of recognition, and I'm sure that's true in all the other categories too. Plus, that would make it more fun and maybe reduce some of the over-the-top competitiveness if everyone knows it's just one term and then someone else will get their recognition the next year.

Hmmmmmm...I think PF is already too "interesting."

loseyourname said:
Can we have the antithesis of that category? I think I should win the award for member whose post quality has most degraded over the last year.
Whew, I'm glad you agree - that award presentation might have been awkward. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Not seriously. It was only in GD and all done in fun. But you can't expect people nominated for the funniest member to just sit around and watch quietly, do you? Though I'm quite miffed that the winner just took his ribbon and then stopped being funny. :grumpy: It'll be a tough race this year between you, Artman and Danger, I'm just not sure who I would vote for if you're all nominated. It might be like the Grammy Awards, where you really end up voting for the person you would have voted for last year if there wasn't so much other good competition, and then next year you vote for the person who you would have voted for this year if there wasn't that person from last year still deserving...:tongue2: And then there's the consideration of who I'd most like to see thrown into the volcano...it's really a tough call.

Oh, here's something worth inquiring about...will last year's winners be eligible in the same category again this year? Or should we be prepared to pass the torch on to someone new? I rather like the idea of not being eligible in two consecutive years (despite all the joking last year of my aspirations to have the longest running guru record at PF). I know there are new people in biology worthy of recognition, and I'm sure that's true in all the other categories too. Plus, that would make it more fun and maybe reduce some of the over-the-top competitiveness if everyone knows it's just one term and then someone else will get their recognition the next year.
All great suggestions. I hate to tell you this, but I'll bet you will be a nominee for funniest member. It will be a bloody battle for funniest member this year. :biggrin:

Also, people that were formerly funny and/or stopped posting in GD won't be eligible, people need to be consistent.

Last edited:
Evo said:
It will be a bloody battle...
I'm pondering. Perhaps a "Funniest Mentor" popular vote is in order. Some names come to mind.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm pondering. Perhaps a "Funniest Mentor" popular vote is in order. Some names come to mind.
I have a feeling that you're making the list too. muwahahaha o:)

loseyourname said:
"Shoo," by itself, is the verb.
I was demonstrating my excellent communication skills by trying to not confuse those who would be put off by 'verb phrase' or 'phrasal verb'. :tongue2:
I'm having a wonderful time trying to get some idea of this word's origins. Some dictionaries claim that it is simply instinctive
I doubted that until arildno said that he and his friends also use it. I wonder if its history is similar to 'boo'. ??
Anyway, can I get the etymology guru award?
Yes, what color would you like for your ribbon? Gold, pink, and rainbow are already taken.

zoobyshoe said:
ZapperZ is excluded; He already won Biggest Disney Sucker Guru.

Evo said:
I have a feeling that you're making the list too. muwahahaha o:)
And checkin' it twice.
honestrosewater said:
Fictional categories suggested by way of humorously highlighting a particular person's idiosynchratic interests, even when done by themselves, are not considered exclusionary to the "Funniest Mentor" popular vote. There may, in fact, be no means of weasling out of it.

honestrosewater said:

I won already? Then where the hell is my Mickey Ears tiara??!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I won already? Then where the hell is my Mickey Ears tiara??!

Zz.
Sorry, funds for your tiara are being used to incorporate a hand pump into the Funniest Member's beer hemlet, so they won't have to suck anymore. :biggrin: (It was Evo's idea, though I'm sure she won't admit to it now.)

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Sorry, funds for your tiara are being used to incorporate a pump into the Funniest Member's beer hemlet, so they won't have to suck anymore. :biggrin: (It was Evo's idea.)

Are you saying the funniest members suck? :grumpy: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
No, I have been practicing my subtlety - my insults are no longer visible to the naked eye.

Moonbear said:
:confused:

arildno said:
:confused:
Funniest not :grumpy: est!

Lisa! said:
Funniest not :grumpy: est!
Was it that bad? :cry:

arildno said:
I would respond, but it wouldn't be appropriate outside of GD. :wink:

arildno said:
:cry: ing is even worse!

Lisa! said:
:cry: ing is even worse!
Don't say that - you'll just make him cry more! :wink:

honestrosewater said:
Don't say that - you'll just make him cry more! :wink:
Let's see! :rolleyes: I like making men :cry: ! :devil:

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Obviously you haven't met yourdadonapogostick. :confused:

Well, my dad used to hop around on a pogo stick, so I can understand that one. But if there's honest rosewater, it implies there is DIShonest rosewater, which seems to be unfairly smearing rosewater! :confused:

Les Sleeth said:
But if there's honest rosewater, it implies there is DIShonest rosewater, which seems to be unfairly smearing rosewater! :confused:
I have to agree that it's a baffling name. The explanation she recently proffered just confused me more.

Les Sleeth said:
Well, my dad used to hop around on a pogo stick, so I can understand that one. But if there's honest rosewater, it implies there is DIShonest rosewater, which seems to be unfairly smearing rosewater! :confused:
But it is a fact that not everything (or everyone) smells as rosewater.
Hence, a motivation might exist to disguise the true smell as rosewater smell.
That would be connected to dishonest rosewater, I think.

I told this story in Les' etymology thread. Rosewater does not refer to the rosewater made from rose petals. I had some cut roses sitting in water in a vase, as people do. After removing the wilting roses, I noticed they had imparted a very pleasing, unique, complex scent to the water, and I thought it would be a shame to just throw this away. So I tried to find some use for it. But along with the beautiful smell, the roses had left dirt, leaves, and who knows what pesticides and microscopic organisms, making the water unfit for any purpose I could think of; I couldn't figure out how to separate the desirable parts from the undesirable. After a few days, the smell turned sickly and the water clouded; I had to throw most of it out, but I saved part of it in my new pen name: Rosewater.

Later, when I was thinking of changing my legal name, I chose Honest for my first name, Waking for my middle name, and Rosewater was an obvious choice for my last name. I was almost Honest Waking Rosewater. I still might change it some day. :smile:

Again: more confused than I was before.

honestrosewater said:
I told this story in Les' etymology thread. Rosewater does not refer to the rosewater made from rose petals. I had some cut roses sitting in water in a vase, as people do. After removing the wilting roses, I noticed they had imparted a very pleasing, unique, complex scent to the water, and I thought it would be a shame to just throw this away. So I tried to find some use for it. But along with the beautiful smell, the roses had left dirt, leaves, and who knows what pesticides and microscopic organisms, making the water unfit for any purpose I could think of; I couldn't figure out how to separate the desirable parts from the undesirable. After a few days, the smell turned sickly and the water clouded; I had to throw most of it out, but I saved part of it in my new pen name: Rosewater.

Later, when I was thinking of changing my legal name, I chose Honest for my first name, Waking for my middle name, and Rosewater was an obvious choice for my last name. I was almost Honest Waking Rosewater. I still might change it some day. :smile:

This, at least, explains your extraordinary interest in logic. :tongue2:

zoobyshoe said:
Again: more confused than I was before.
What is confusing?
Les said:
This, at least, explains your extraordinary interest in logic. :tongue2:
Great now I'm confused. How exactly does that explain it? :confused:

honestrosewater said:
Great now I'm confused. How exactly does that explain it? :confused:

Lol. You shouldn't let us all know how easy it is to wind you up. :wink: (It's a joke, suggesting your explanation is funny, and you are obsessed with logic because you need it so much.)

Les Sleeth said:
Lol. You shouldn't let us all know how easy it is to wind you up. :wink: (It's a joke, suggesting your explanation is funny, and you are obsessed with logic because you need it so much.)
My explanation was funny? What do you mean, funny? Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how?

(Eh, in case anyone thinks I'm accosting Les, that's from a movie - it's meant to be funny; You know, me getting so easily wound up and such. So now that it's not funny anymore... :rolleyes:)

honestrosewater said:
My explanation was funny? What do you mean, funny? Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how?

You have too much time on your hands. Here, memorize these hillbilly medical terms (as defined by Moonbear):

Bacteria...Back door to cafeteria.
Barium....What you do with dead folks.
Cesarean Section...A neighborhood in Rome.
Catscan...Searching for the cat.
Cauterize...Made eye contact with her.
Colic...A sheep dog.
Coma...A punctuation mark.
D&C...Where Washington is.
Dilate....To live longer than your kids do.
Enema....Not a friend.
Fester...Quicker than someone else.
Fibula...A small lie.
G.I.Series...World Series of military baseball.
Hangnail...What you hang your coat on.
Impotent...Distinguished, well known.*
Labor Pain...Getting hurt at work.
Morbid.....A higher offer than I bid.
Nitrates...Cheaper than day rates.
Medical staff...A Doctor's cane, sometimes shown with a snake.
Node...I knew it.
Outpatient...A person who has fainted.
Pap Smear...A fatherhood test.
Pelvis.....Second cousin to Elvis.
Post Operative...A letter Carrier.
Recovery Room...Place to do upholstery.
Secretion...Hiding something
Tablet...A small table to change babies on.
Seizure...Roman emperor who lived in the Ceasarean Section.*
Terminal Illness...Getting sick at the train station.
Tumor...More than one.
Urine...Opposite of mine.
Varicose...Near by
Hospital...The biggest building in town, other than Joe's feed warehouse or Franks lumber mill.