Which High Altitude Wind Power Startup Has the Best Power to Weight Ratio?

• Thread starter bhaazee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary: BobbyWhyIn summary, both Makani Power and Sky Windpower are working on creating systems that use kites to generate power from the wind. While Sky Windpower's scheme uses a stationary kite, Makani Power uses a kite that travels in a circular path. Sky Windpower has greater propeller rpm than Makani Power, but Makani Power's scheme has the potential to generate more power to weight ratio. There is the potential for problems with the tether, but Makani Power has a system in place to land the kite safely if it severs itself. Overall, both systems have potential, but more research is necessary before a conclusion can be made.
bhaazee
Hallo PF,
Both are startups working on high altitude wind power generation.

In general, both uses some sought of kite design to keep the generator afloat in air and the high velocity winds rotate the propellers of generators producing power. However, in Makani the kite travels along a circular path (replicates the tip of actual wind turbine's blade), whereas in Sky Windpower the kite stays STILL in air. I am trying to figure out which one of the two tops in terms of power to weight ratio(I think Makani's principle is solid enough).

concept Videos of both the companies are provided for your reference. It would be helpful if someone can help me with the above query

Sky Windpower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7hD_-mIokc&feature=player_embedded

Makani Power

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
"I am trying to figure out which one of the two tops in terms of power to weight ratio(I think Makani's principle is solid enough)."

How can you expect anyone to determine which one's power to weight ratio is "tops" given only two youtube videos? The answer must be found through measurement, not by gut feelings.

Interesting, I am curious about how the combined weight of the conductive wire returning the voltage to the ground impacts the flight.

bhaazee said:
Hallo PF,
Both are startups working on high altitude wind power generation.

In general, both uses some sought of kite design to keep the generator afloat in air and the high velocity winds rotate the propellers of generators producing power. However, in Makani the kite travels along a circular path (replicates the tip of actual wind turbine's blade), whereas in Sky Windpower the kite stays STILL in air. I am trying to figure out which one of the two tops in terms of power to weight ratio(I think Makani's principle is solid enough).

concept Videos of both the companies are provided for your reference. It would be helpful if someone can help me with the above query

Sky Windpower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7hD_-mIokc&feature=player_embedded

Makani Power

Regards

The new scheme for generating electrical power using kites with wind turbine generators seems promising. There is a danger, however, in sending any conductor (antenna) upwards in our atmosphere: there is a potential for attracting a lightning discharge even in clear weather, depending on conditions. Surely the kite generator experimenters must have accounted for this possibility.

For example: “The electrostatic potential gradient between the Earth and the Ionosphere is about 100Vm-1 near the surface in summer, rising to 300Vm-1 in winter. It is well known that electrostatic motors can be driven by the atmospheric electric field indefinitely from an appropriate antenna and Earth connection.”
http://www.meridian-int-res.com/Energy/Atmospheric.htm

For an overview of atmospheric electricity physics, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_electricity

Finally, ninety years ago there were schemes to “harvest” this electrical potential. See:
http://www.nuenergy.org/alt/PlausonMarch1922.htm
http://www.nuenergy.org/alt/GernsbackOnPlausonFebruary1922.htm

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
Ofcourse. If accurate answers are required then actual measurements needs to be made. However, based on working principle I think Makani would provide the best power generated to weight ratio.

Coz,
the propeller rpm in makani compared to sky windpower is far greater (thnks to the circular flight path in makani). Also, in sky windpower since the device has to hover, I think this limits the unit size that can be built.

and regarding the tether, assuming the flight can reach heights of 600 m, what if the flight severes itself (bad wind or mechanical wear...) from tether. The flight can be landed safely. But is it possible for the tether to fall without causing any damage?

However, since the airborne wind power is something new, a conclusion regarding the effectiveness, problems, etc. can only be reached after 3 to 5 years of usage.

Thnx everyone for their suggestions and replies.

Regards

1. What is the difference between Makani and Sky Windpower?

Makani and Sky Windpower are both companies that specialize in wind energy technology. However, Makani focuses on developing airborne wind turbines, while Sky Windpower specializes in tethered wind energy systems.

2. Which company is more efficient in generating wind energy?

Both Makani and Sky Windpower have proven to be efficient in generating wind energy. However, Makani's airborne wind turbines have shown to have a higher efficiency and can generate more energy compared to Sky Windpower's tethered systems.

3. How do the costs of Makani and Sky Windpower's technologies compare?

The costs of Makani and Sky Windpower's technologies vary depending on the specific project and location. However, in general, Makani's airborne wind turbines tend to be more expensive due to the complex technology involved, while Sky Windpower's tethered systems are more cost-effective.

4. Which company has a more sustainable approach to wind energy?

Both Makani and Sky Windpower have a strong commitment to sustainability and reducing the carbon footprint of energy production. However, Makani's airborne wind turbines have a smaller physical footprint and do not require large amounts of land, making them a more environmentally friendly option.

5. What are the potential limitations of using Makani and Sky Windpower's technologies?

One potential limitation of Makani's airborne wind turbines is that they are currently still in the development and testing phase, and have not been widely implemented on a large scale. For Sky Windpower's tethered systems, the main limitation is the need for a large open space to set up the turbines and the potential for interference with aviation.