Can this satisfy the world's energy needs? High-altitude wind power.

In summary, this technology has the potential to provide a lot of energy, but there are some concerns that need to be addressed.
Ivan Seeking said:
However, there are additional losses through the drive train, but I was coming back to up that number a bit as the one that I used is an average, and a Honda Accord is obviously a more efficient choice. Also, I'm not sure how much drive train is avoided in a typical electric car today.

That's difficult to say becasue there aren't any "typical electric cars" that I've seen.
I looked on the web for research on electric cars because I was curious as to what was out there from car manufacturers, kits, conversions, etc...
From car manufacturers there's hybrids but you don't avoid the drive train at all.
Kits and conversions could go either way I suppose, but I haven't seen too many direct drive electrics out there. It's been done to save weight/space for more battery banks (increase range?)and reduce drive train maintenence/complexity.
AS hit upon in another thread though, most of the electric "car" kits I've seen don't fall under the definition of a passanger car a far as DOT and NTSB specs, they're more of an enclosed two passenger trike (and don't look as if they'd hold up well in an accident even at 30MPH on the back roads that they're primarily designed to travel).

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have been investigating the options to produce biodiesel from algae. As I had suspected, the good information is all proprietary. This comes from one of the leaders in the field.

As we and others are still developing the technology, and having to do so under intellectual property protection (since we're relying on funding from private companies, as there's no government funding for this), we're having to keep everything confidential. So, for now, you likely won't be able to find much information on the technical side of doing this. We anticipate it will be perhaps another 2 years before we have our systems ready for commercialization.

Interesting idea. How about this. Getting your generators in the air using dirigibles. You can anchor it to a ship directly below, lift any amount of weight you want to any altitude (within reason). Than imagine another tether forming a hypotenuse with the sea and vertical anchor tether which can help hold it in position and steer it into the wind.

correction. you would have to be able to be able to rotate the inlet for the moving air on the balloon and maybe have 4 tethers forming a square in the ocean to hold it in place. With the collection facility directly below the balloon.

...Biofuels, long a cornerstone of the quest for greener energy, may sometimes produce more harmful emissions than the fossil fuels they replace, scientific studies are finding.

As a result, politicians in many countries are rethinking the billions of dollars in subsidies that have indiscriminately supported the spread of all of these supposedly "eco-friendly" fuels, for use in power vehicles and factories. The 2003 European Union Biofuels Directive, which demands that all member states aim to have 5.75 percent of transportation fueled by biofuel in 2010, is now under review.

"If you make biofuels properly, you will reduce greenhouse emissions," said Peder Jensen, of the European Environment Agency in Copenhagen. "But that depends very much on the types of plants and how they're grown and processed. You can end up with a 90 percent reduction compared to fossil fuels — or a 20 percent increase." [continued]
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/30/business/biofuel.php

...The first rigorous, worldwide study of high-altitude wind power estimates that there is enough wind energy at altitudes of about 1,600 to 40,000 feet to meet global electricity demand a hundred times over.

The very best ground-based wind sites have a wind-power density of less than 1 kilowatt per square meter of area swept. Up near the jet stream above New York, the wind power density can reach 16 kilowatts per square meter. The air up there is a vast potential reservoir of energy, if its intermittency can be overcome.

Even better, the best high-altitude wind-power resources match up with highly populated areas including North America’s Eastern Seaboard and China’s coastline.

“The resource is really, really phenomenal,” said Cristina Archer of Cal State University-Chico, who co-authored a paper on the work published in the open-access journal Energies.”There is a lot of energy up there, but it’s not as steady as we thought. It’s not going to be the silver bullet that will solve all of our energy problems, but it will have a role...”
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/06/highaltitudewindpower/

what % loss does tesla air system suffer vs microwave vs powerlines for high volt ac

H or He balloon shaped wings?

balloons every 1000m to hold up the cables?

jet streams shift around
could a railroad based system follow the shifts

How is it that I missed this thread? I used to work on the skywindpower project (now called Baseload Energy).

what % loss does tesla air system suffer vs microwave vs powerlines for high volt ac

Tesla and microwave power transmission techs both have ridiculously poor efficiencies. Also, all HAWG concepts require a tether to either hold the HAWG in place or have something to pull on to drive the winch.

The Magenn concept uses helium.

Jet streams do shift around but their capacity factor is still extremely high when compared to terrestrial based winds so extracting power from them still makes sense. Maybe not financial sense, but makes sense in some ways.

Topher925 said:
Jet streams do shift around but their capacity factor is still extremely high when compared to terrestrial based winds so extracting power from them still makes sense. Maybe not financial sense, but makes sense in some ways.

What are the major problems? Do you mean that it becomes cost prohibitive because of the changing jet streams?

Ivan Seeking said:
What are the major problems? Do you mean that it becomes cost prohibitive because of the changing jet streams?

No, I mean that operating a wind turbine of any type at 15,000+ feet may not make financial sense when compared to other alternatives such as nuclear. The technology proposed by all of the HAWG companies is still in its very early stages of development so its difficult to gauge what kind of capital and maintenance costs high altitude wind generation would have. However, all of the designs require exotic components such as cables or tension members which will have extremely high costs and low MTBFs, which may make high altitude wind generation not financially competitive to other alternatives.

I have yet to see any in depth cost analysis in terms of $/kWh from any of these venture capital companies, only empty promises.

Topher925 said:
No, I mean that operating a wind turbine of any type at 15,000+ feet may not make financial sense when compared to other alternatives such as nuclear. The technology proposed by all of the HAWG companies is still in its very early stages of development so its difficult to gauge what kind of capital and maintenance costs high altitude wind generation would have. However, all of the designs require exotic components such as cables or tension members which will have extremely high costs and low MTBFs, which may make high altitude wind generation not financially competitive to other alternatives.

I have yet to see any in depth cost analysis in terms of $/kWh from any of these venture capital companies, only empty promises.

Going way back to the beginning of the thread, even back-of-the-napkin calculations make it clear that the tether is a key challenge. But it did appear to be doable using commercial products. It was looking like the power transfer was an issue as well, but with off-the-shelf 500KV generators now available, the power wire could be relatively small and light.

It seems to be a bit like tidal power: It is fairly easy to do in principle but challenging from a practical point of view. However, the energy density is hard to ignore.

<h2>1. Can high-altitude wind power satisfy the world's energy needs?</h2><p>There is potential for high-altitude wind power to contribute significantly to the world's energy needs. However, it is not a standalone solution and would need to be combined with other renewable energy sources to meet the global demand.</p><h2>2. How does high-altitude wind power work?</h2><p>High-altitude wind power involves using large kites or turbines attached to tethered cables to capture strong winds at high altitudes. The energy generated is then transmitted back to the ground through the cables.</p><h2>3. What are the advantages of high-altitude wind power?</h2><p>Some advantages of high-altitude wind power include its potential for large-scale energy production, minimal environmental impact, and its ability to operate in remote locations with strong winds.</p><h2>4. Are there any challenges or limitations to high-altitude wind power?</h2><p>One of the main challenges of high-altitude wind power is the development of efficient and cost-effective technology. There are also concerns about potential impacts on aviation and wildlife, as well as the need for suitable wind conditions.</p><h2>5. Is high-altitude wind power a viable alternative to traditional wind power?</h2><p>High-altitude wind power is still in the early stages of development and has not yet been fully proven as a viable alternative to traditional wind power. However, it has the potential to complement traditional wind power and contribute to a more diverse and sustainable energy mix.</p>

1. Can high-altitude wind power satisfy the world's energy needs?

There is potential for high-altitude wind power to contribute significantly to the world's energy needs. However, it is not a standalone solution and would need to be combined with other renewable energy sources to meet the global demand.

2. How does high-altitude wind power work?

High-altitude wind power involves using large kites or turbines attached to tethered cables to capture strong winds at high altitudes. The energy generated is then transmitted back to the ground through the cables.

3. What are the advantages of high-altitude wind power?

Some advantages of high-altitude wind power include its potential for large-scale energy production, minimal environmental impact, and its ability to operate in remote locations with strong winds.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to high-altitude wind power?

One of the main challenges of high-altitude wind power is the development of efficient and cost-effective technology. There are also concerns about potential impacts on aviation and wildlife, as well as the need for suitable wind conditions.

5. Is high-altitude wind power a viable alternative to traditional wind power?

High-altitude wind power is still in the early stages of development and has not yet been fully proven as a viable alternative to traditional wind power. However, it has the potential to complement traditional wind power and contribute to a more diverse and sustainable energy mix.