Which is Best for Pursuing a Math or Physics Ph.D: Double Major or Dual Degree?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
flyingpig
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
1
I am getting a bit confused by the difference.

I plan on studying Math and Physics and I want to do both of them, so if I am unsure whether to go through a Math Ph.D program or Physics Ph.D program, which one should I pursue? A double major or dual degree?

This is the department of Physics in my undergrad, http://www.physics.ubc.ca/undergrad/educate/BEd_BSc_courses.php

But is that the one I should be looking at?

Is "Combined Honors in Mathematics and Physics" the same as a Double Major or a Dual Degree??

I am really confused.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say for certain, you should speak with your advisor. I imagine that instead of the two years of lower division, two years of upper division physics, and two years of upper division mathematics for a double major, the combined honors is just less physics and more math.
 
Serpa said:
I can't say for certain, you should speak with your advisor. I imagine that instead of the two years of lower division, two years of upper division physics, and two years of upper division mathematics for a double major, the combined honors is just less physics and more math.

So then what is my best option? Even though I am undecided on a future Ph.D in Math or Physics, I am getting the feeling that I should go for theoretical physics since I get to do both.
 
If you're in a hurry to finish undergrad then talk to your advisor and come up with a schedule. Otherwise just take the math and physics classes that interest you and figure out a degree later.