Which is cheap and suitable pump?

• Thread starter newton5621
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
In summary, a centrifugal pump may be suitable for this application, but it is complicated to select one and there are many different brands and models to choose from.
newton5621
Hi All,

i have a requirement to design a pump to pump 4000 litres of water a day at 40 mtr. head. which pump will be most suitable for this application and cheap??

can anyone of you help me in this subject ?

and also where can i refer to design that particular pump?

thanks in advance to all of you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why design a pump from scratch? Why not just establish your piping requirements and look for a centrif that suits the application?

FredGarvin said:
Why design a pump from scratch? Why not just establish your piping requirements and look for a centrif that suits the application?

This. It's complicated enough selecting a premade pump for a particular application, there's no need to try to design one from scratch when there are multiple different brands that have pumps for nearly every possible situation.

and if they break, you have a mfg warrenty, instead of you assuming the liability

dr

I'm guessing there is a language barrier here and the OP actually wants to select, not design a pump.

Try paging through the Bell and Gossett catalog, looking at the pump curves, etc. It's all available online.

Well, even if he is selecting a pump, you have to know a TON of information. Generally you can't even get an applications engineer at the companies to quote you without:

1) Desired Head
2) Suction Head Available
3) Desired Flowrate
4) Fluid service (more often than not they want the specific gravity of the fluid here)

And the next question is usually the temperature that the fluid will be at. It also depends what your specific use is going to be: if you're simply moving fluids, a centrifugal will do fine, but if you're more worried about injecting fluid into the ground (a la oil well stimulation) or other high pressure/low volume situations, a reciprocating piston pump may make more sense.

As far as who to buy from, there are quite a few, but the biggest seem to be Flowserve, Goulds, and Sulzer pumps. Each of those guys have an extremely wide variety of pumps for nearly every conceivable application. Or if you go the piston route, Gardner-Denver is pretty much tops for that field.

1. What factors should I consider when looking for a cheap and suitable pump?

When looking for a cheap and suitable pump, it is important to consider the intended use, the required flow rate and pressure, the type of fluid being pumped, and the overall quality and durability of the pump.

2. Are there any specific types of pumps that are generally cheaper and more suitable for certain applications?

Yes, there are certain types of pumps that are generally cheaper and more suitable for specific applications. For example, centrifugal pumps are often more affordable and suitable for pumping large volumes of low viscosity fluids, while positive displacement pumps are better for handling high viscosity fluids and smaller flow rates.

3. How do I determine the right pump size for my needs?

The right pump size for your needs will depend on several factors, including the required flow rate and pressure, the type of fluid being pumped, and the distance and elevation the pump needs to move the fluid. It is important to consult with a pump expert or refer to pump sizing charts to determine the appropriate size for your specific application.

4. What are some ways to save money when purchasing a pump?

One way to save money when purchasing a pump is to consider buying a used or refurbished pump rather than a brand new one. Another option is to shop around for different suppliers and compare prices. Additionally, consider the long-term cost savings of choosing a more energy-efficient pump.

5. How can I ensure that a cheap pump is still suitable and reliable?

To ensure that a cheap pump is still suitable and reliable, it is important to research the brand and read reviews from other customers. It is also recommended to purchase from a reputable supplier and to inquire about the pump's warranty and maintenance options. Additionally, consider consulting with a pump expert to ensure the pump meets your specific needs.