Which is more helpful for real analysis?

In summary, taking linear algebra over number theory for an intro real analysis class would be more beneficial.
anonymity
Please note that this is a "double post". I was not sure if I should put this here or in the calculus and analysis subform.

If you must delete, I understand. But please, delete the one that should actually be deleted.

Thanks, and sorry =|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This fall I am taking my first proof based class (set theory), and this spring have the option of taking a number theory class or a proof based linear algebra class (i am taking an applied LA class this semester, and also, I am MUCH more interested in applied math than pure math)

I would personally rather take linear algebra, but one of my engineering classes conflicts, and would be a haste to work around.

I will be taking undergrad real analysis NEXT fall, and was hoping to find out which of these two would be more helpful for real analysis.

I think that the proofs for linear algebra will likely be more difficult (and the content more abstract). So, in terms of developing mathematical maturity, I think LA wins the chicken..

However, I was wondering, in terms of content overlap and helpful knowledge, which is more likely to prove useful for an intro real analysis class?

thanks in advance.

-anonymous

Physics news on Phys.org
Number theory is pretty useless for real analysis. So you would be better of taking linear algebra. It's not that you need much linear algebra for real analysis, but occasionally it pops up. Also, if the linear algebra proofs are more difficult (something I doubt), then you should certainly take linear algebra!

thanks for your input ^

I think that I was largely in denial when I posted this question; I really didn't want to have to rearrange my schedule...double majoring sucks =|

I did though, and it looks like it'll work out fine. I'm happy that I did. LA is far more useful and interesting (imo)...and has the added bonus of possibly helping me out for real analysis. Win win.

Thanks again =D

1. What is the difference between theoretical and applied real analysis?

Theoretical real analysis focuses on the development and proof of mathematical theorems and concepts, while applied real analysis applies these theories to real-world problems and applications.

2. Which is more important for understanding real analysis: theory or applications?

Both theory and applications are equally important in real analysis. A solid understanding of theoretical concepts is necessary for solving real-world problems, and practical applications help to solidify understanding of these theories.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of calculus before studying real analysis?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is necessary for studying real analysis. Real analysis builds upon the concepts and techniques learned in calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

4. How can I improve my understanding of real analysis?

To improve understanding of real analysis, it is important to practice solving problems and proofs, read and study textbooks and other resources, and seek guidance from knowledgeable individuals, such as professors or tutors.

5. What are some real-world applications of real analysis?

Real analysis has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some examples include optimization problems, differential equations, and probability theory.