Which is More in Demand: Actuary or Pharmacist?

• Thread starter GirlInDoubt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the job market for Pharmacists and Actuaries is currently in high demand, but the demand may increase or decrease in the upcoming decades. The most in demand profession right now is Pharmacist, but the demand may shift in the future.
GirlInDoubt
What job is in higher demand right now? Which do you think will be in higher demand in the upcoming decades? Actuary or Pharmacist?
Are Actuaries or Pharmacist in higher demand? Which do you think will be in high demand for the upcoming decades? Do you think that robots will replace most of the Pharmacist jobs? UCSF has already created a robot that does what PharmDs and Pharmacy technicians do- flawlessly. Will the advancement in technology decrease the demand for pharmacist significantly? And even if does, do you think Pharmacist or Actuaries will be higher in demand?

Physics news on Phys.org

If there were many more job openings for pharmacists (compared to actuaries) but more applicants per position, would that mean there was more or less demand for pharmacists?

If there were more actuarial positions employers were desperate to fill (and unable to find a candidate for), but none of them were entry level, what would that mean to you?

Are you sure you're going about this whole career choosing thing the right way?

This sorts of questions are self-destroying. If everyone thinks that job A will be in demand, then everyone will study for job A leaving a glut, whereas if everyone thinks that job B is overwhelmed, then no one will study for them leading to a storage.

You are actually better off rolling the dice and then choosing what the outcome is.

Actuary has only garnered attention recently, since it has been topping the "top X jobs" lists. Therefore a whole swath of fresh-faced math geniuses have clogged up the available jobs. It's still a great career, but a very competitive one.

Locrian said:
If there were many more job openings for pharmacists (compared to actuaries) but more applicants per position, would that mean there was more or less demand for pharmacists?

If there were more actuarial positions employers were desperate to fill (and unable to find a candidate for), but none of them were entry level, what would that mean to you?

Are you sure you're going about this whole career choosing thing the right way?

good points.
I'm just completely clueless about which profession to choose, as I like both. But I know I have to make a decision quickly because the Acturary classes are generally more difficult for me, which would lower my GPA if I also want to do Pharmacist.

Can you confirm whether you're in the US or Canada or other? Because it may not be wise to take actuarial science classes.

the question about which one to choose reminds me of the story about a boatman and a philosopher

A philosopher asks a boatman to take him across the river,
While enroute he asks the boatman if he's ever studied philosophy and the boatman says no
So the philosopher says well then you've lost half a life.

Just then a great wind begins blowing and tossing the boat about and it hits a rock.

Boatman asks hurriedly: Can you swim? and philosopher says No!
and boatman replies well then you may have lost all a life.
In PharmD you learn something that is decidedly more practical than actuarial science but may not pay as well but hey you might get a break on life insurance :-)

The link has a Physics oriented story version:

http://my.englishclub.com/profiles/blogs/the-philosopher-and-the

Last edited by a moderator:

A good understanding of actuarial science should give one a deeper understanding of the financial system as a whole, a good feeling for the time value of money, a solid introduction into risk management and a comprehensive knowledge of both private (life, health & property) insurance and public (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and public pensions) insurance.

How practical that is will depend on the individual. In my case I do not go to doctors and take no medications. I am interested and involved politically. Actuarial science is infinitely more practical for me than knowing drug interactions. It will be different for others.

I don’t know any actuaries who get discounts on their life insurance.

The question might also be phrased as:

Would you like to be able to produce your own hallucinogenic substances OR
Would you like to be able to appreciate from a distance the risks of producing your own hallucinogenic substances?

More seriously though there are so many difficulties with trying to predict a job market 4 years out. Robots could potentially replace pharmacists, but perhaps software packages can replace some actuaries? As a degree that's currently listed as highly desirable, will there be a glut of applicants in 4 years? Possibly, but world wide developments might necessitate a demand higher than that future supply. I would think the goat-in-the-snake population of babyboomer's would need pharmaceuticals but then perhaps the world will need actuarials to rethink retirement payment plans to support more retiree's on less workers.

Should I go to the grocery store at 6 o clock when its busy? or maybe I will go at 3 pm when no one else is there. But what about all those other people at 3pm trying to beat the lines too?

If you have no clear preference for subject matter then maybe go with what your best at. A great pharmacist will likely beat out a mediocre actuarial for jobs even if the demand is somewhat less. Or maybe not - there is a recent story of a phD in pharmaceuticals who was protesting at Occupy Wall St about how she could not find a job, only to be given a job by a Wall St. Exec who happened to be passing by.

Last edited:

Related to Which is More in Demand: Actuary or Pharmacist?

1. What is the average salary for an actuary compared to a pharmacist?

The average salary for an actuary is around $108,350 per year, while the average salary for a pharmacist is around $128,090 per year. However, it is important to note that salaries can vary depending on location, experience, and other factors.

2. Which profession has better job prospects?

Both actuary and pharmacist are in high demand, but the job outlook for pharmacists is slightly better. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 3% job growth for actuaries and a 5% job growth for pharmacists from 2019-2029.

3. Is it easier to become an actuary or a pharmacist?

Becoming an actuary typically requires passing a series of exams and obtaining a specific set of qualifications, which can take several years. On the other hand, becoming a pharmacist typically involves completing a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program, which takes around 4 years. This may make becoming a pharmacist slightly easier and quicker than becoming an actuary.

4. Which profession offers better work-life balance?

This can vary depending on the individual and their specific job, but in general, both actuary and pharmacist are considered to have good work-life balance. Both professions typically have regular working hours and do not require being on call or working weekends or holidays.

5. Are there any similarities between being an actuary and a pharmacist?

While the two professions may seem very different, there are some similarities. Both require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with large amounts of data. Both professions also require continuing education to maintain licensure and stay current in their field.