1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is more valuable, chemistry or physics?

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    I posted a thread earlier trying to decide which degree I should add to my BS in math, I want to step into the world of science on a more physical level, either through chemistry or physics. Ideally, something that will help my chances for graduate study in engineering, geo sciences, or the related.

Which will be more useful?
    Can advanced mathematics be used in chemistry?
    Which would make me a better candidate for graduate admission?

Any double majors in chem/math or phys/math that could give some advice, or any opinions in general would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I would have thought this would go without saying, but if you want to get into graduate study for engineering or geographical sciences, you should take engineering or geographical sciences. In fact, if there are praticular programs your'e interested in, check out the admission requirements. Sometimes they can be very specific.

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3
    Just clarification, you are currently major in Math?
    I know that Physics and math are brothers...(this make me think of the joke on xkcd, "the purist subject/major. And apparently math and physics are the most, or worst. :D)
    At least in my school, I think the chemistry-major people had to take about the same amount of math as physics people. So if you are math major, then it should be about the same.
    Not questioning your purpose, but why not just simply major in engineer, or geo science? Why get around with physics and or chemistry?
    And as I said at last thread, Physics is less useful in the application realm, where as chemistry is more useful.

5. Apr 16, 2009 #4
    If you want to be an engineer, why not study engineering? I know several people with majors in both math and a field of engineering. Your personal statement will be more meaningful, your application will be competitive, and you can easily find well paying work should you not go on to grad school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook