Which is the actual size of a generic brane?

• Thread starter Sauron
  • Start date
In summary, there are various viewpoints on the size of branes, but the most common one is that they are Planck-sized, unless there is strong motivation to believe otherwise. The most straightforward realization of p-branes are the M-branes, which are sources of certain fields in M-theory. Dualities suggest that M-branes may have a topology of S^1xI and therefore have Planckian size. Other types of branes exist with their own peculiarities, and they all have a tension that determines their size. In the 11-dimensional theory, as the size of the compactified dimension shrinks, the tension of the branes also shrinks, resulting in the appearance of lower-dimensional objects like strings and particles
Sauron
If you see the usual pictures of D-Branes or you go with the idea of the brane univereses you would get the impresion that branes are infinite planes. But, are there more viewpoints?.

I guess that tehere should be, but I am not sure (that´s why I open the thread aftheall). The most generic brane is a p-brane, whcih is nothing else that the natural generalization to most dimensions of the idea of an string. If the strings are supossed to be Planck sized a p-brane should also be so, unnles there is some strong motivation to think otherwise.

The most strightforward way to realize the p-brane idea, I belive, are the (two and five dimensional) M-branes. You need them as sources of some fields that appear in the low energy limit of M-theory (11 dimensional supergravity). From this viewpoint I see no dfinitive clue of which size they should have (probably it would depend on the supoort of the fields they are source for). But on the other hand we have dualities. Under some this dualities the M2-Brane would become an string, That would imply, I guess, that they must hae a topology [tex] S^1xI[/tex] (I beeing the unit interval). That would imply that they would have Planckanian size.

Well, there are more brane fauna, and every brane has it´s own indiosincracy, so I want to consider all of them in a single post. they could be adrresed in subsequent ones...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
p-branes appeared in supergravity first, as "electric" and "magnetic" field configurations (the former coupling to singular fieldstrengths, the latter being exact solutions and therefore associated with well-behaved field configurations). Then D-branes appeared as generalizations to the stringy case (with the p-branes presumed to be the long-wavelength limits of these). The solutions are taken to be infinite in directions along the branes for stability. 0-branes are "particles" that have a finite size, though for small string coupling, they are smaller than strings.
Just as a string has a tension (inversely related to its length), so do branes. 11D sugra compactified on a circle appears to give the 10D perturbative IIA string theory as the size of the circle shrinks. The 2-brane of the 11D theory is supposed to give the fundamental string of this theory as you mentioned. The tensions are required to match for the two objects. But the tension of the string is inversely proportional to the string coupling, so as you increase the coupling with the size of the circle, the tension shrinks and the size of the string enlarges, along with its new dimension, until we end with the 2-brane in the decompactified 11 dimensional theory.

I appreciate your curiosity and openness to different viewpoints. The actual size of a generic brane is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. Different theories and models propose different sizes for branes, and there is no clear consensus on a definitive size.

Some theories suggest that branes are infinite planes, while others propose that they have a Planckian size, which is on the order of 10^-35 meters. This size is based on the Planck length, which is the smallest length scale that can be measured in the universe.

However, as you mentioned, there are also other viewpoints and theories that suggest different sizes for branes. For example, M-branes, which are two and five-dimensional branes in M-theory, could potentially have a size that depends on the fields they are sources for. Additionally, the concept of duality in string theory suggests that branes can transform into strings and vice versa, which could also affect their size.

Therefore, it is important to continue researching and exploring these different viewpoints and theories in order to gain a better understanding of the actual size of a generic brane. By studying the properties and behavior of branes in various scenarios, we can continue to refine our understanding of their size and contribute to the advancement of our knowledge in this area of physics.

1. What is a generic brane?

A generic brane is a hypothetical object in string theory that is thought to be a higher-dimensional counterpart to a point particle. It is a fundamental building block of the universe and is believed to be responsible for the formation of our four-dimensional spacetime.

2. How many dimensions does a generic brane have?

The actual size of a generic brane is still unknown, but it is believed to exist in more than three dimensions. Some theories suggest that there could be up to 11 dimensions in total, while others propose the existence of even more.

3. Can we observe a generic brane?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of generic branes. They are purely theoretical constructs used in string theory to explain the behavior of particles and forces at the subatomic level. However, scientists are actively searching for ways to detect their presence.

4. How does the size of a generic brane affect our understanding of the universe?

The size of a generic brane is crucial in understanding the fundamental forces that govern our universe. It could provide insight into the unification of the four known forces (gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces) and help explain phenomena such as dark matter and dark energy.

5. Is there a way to measure the size of a generic brane?

Currently, there is no known way to directly measure the size of a generic brane. Some theories suggest that it may be possible to indirectly infer its size through the effects it has on the behavior of particles and forces in our observable universe.