Which is the best book for getting in-depth knowledge of Electrical Machines?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 10K views
Manoj Sahu
Messages
54
Reaction score
1
Hi. I am preparing for IES (Indian Engineering Services ) exam. I have basic knowledge of electrical machines both ac and dc. For the examination point of view I need to have in depth knowledge of each and every topic in electrical machines (both ac and dc). Can you suggest me some really good book which have an extensively detailed information of electrical machine?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nagrath-Kothari and Stephen Chapman would be good for conceptual understanding. Electrical Machines by B.L. Theraja would be good for practising a variety of numerical problems. These are easily available in India.

Plus, I believe @jim hardy's content here about machinery is equivalent to a whole book (full of interesting anecdotes!). It would definitely help if you go through it.

Good luck for IES!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
Gosh, cnh, thanks for the kind words !
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995
Chapman book is perhaps the widely used standard text on this subject.
 
I prefer the textbooks by P.C. Krause on this subject.
 
Manoj Sahu said:
Hi. I am preparing for IES (Indian Engineering Services ) exam. I have basic knowledge of electrical machines both ac and dc. For the examination point of view I need to have in depth knowledge of each and every topic in electrical machines (both ac and dc). Can you suggest me some really good book which have an extensively detailed information of electrical machine?

I think there are courses online that will serve this purpose. But if you want books in particular, I think it is best to refer textbooks that some experienced professor recommends since he/she will know a lot about the topic.
 
Speaking personally, I prefer the series of books by P.C. Krause and his associates at Purdue University. They are very well done from a mathematical perspective, and have some great Matlab graphics.
 
Last year I appeared for IES Exam and passed the exam. I prefer the Text Book of Electrical Technology - Book by B.L. Theraja and Electric Machinery Fundamentals - Book by Stephen J. Chapman. These books give you in-depth knowledge of the Electrical machine.