What’s the Best Physics Book for Busy Adults Seeking In-Depth Knowledge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter New Guy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
New Guy
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Can anyone recommend a good physics book for those of us who don’t have the time or opportunity to go back to school?

Preferably, such a book won’t waste scads of chapters reciting yet again the history of what scientists used to think, reiterating little biographies of the various scientists, and restating the long progression of how we got to where we are. And it won’t present the physics in easily-understood but incorrect “lies we tell children” analogies.

What I’m looking for is something that (1) states what we really do know about what the universe is made of and how it all works (or at least are mostly in agreement on), and that (2) sets forth the things we don’t yet know or understand, and that (3) presents the main ideas on those things we haven’t yet figured out.

All the popularized physics books I’ve seen have too much fluff and not enough stuff. And the more in-depth books I’ve seen presume a lot of knowledge that the vast majority of college-educated adults like me just don’t have.

There’s got to be something out there like what I’m looking for, though. I just haven’t seen it. So, any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Randall D. Knight.