Which is the best; Pure Science or Applied Science?

In summary: I think that if you really want to do research, you should get a Ph.D. in physics. However, even without a Ph.D., you can still do research if you have a background in engineering.
aman.yash
i am in big dilema of what to take up in near future;either PURE SCIENCE or APPLIED SCIENCE let me tell you that i want to become a SCIENTIST in the field of atomic science. so please please help me to know which is better for me and in which my future is sceure...

Physics news on Phys.org
Pure science is just the application of science to itself, so it only another type of applied science. For this reason I consider applied science to be more fundamental, and thus more interesting.

aman.yash said:
i am in big dilema of what to take up in near future;either PURE SCIENCE or APPLIED SCIENCE let me tell you that i want to become a SCIENTIST in the field of atomic science. so please please help me to know which is better for me and in which my future is sceure...

From an employment perspective, applied science would more than likely be more applicable than a pure science. An exception may be for a research oriented position such as that in academia, government or private institutions.

more like, which is best FOR YOU?

"Pure" science and "applied" science have very broad definitions. For example, the engineering departments at some schools define themselves as applied science, however a course in say, applied mathematics is not necessarily an engineering degree.

I think you'll have to be more specific if you really want feedback on a particular direction. Look into specific programs that catch your interest, look at the courses you'll take, the projects you'll work on, look at what careers people in those programs go on to, and look at the future predictions for people who study in that discipline.

i am still in a confusion...
my interest lies in doing research in atomic, particle and relative physics(concerned to relativity) in all the three but i want to secure my future. do we have good amount in pure science? can we do research if we have a background from engineering stream?

I used to sit with the Medical Physicists of a cancer treatment/research centre for lunch and every lunch, every day, we discussed the theories of different physicists. These Dr.s were practicing their applied physics in medicine yet were able to explore the theories of physics on lunch. And I got the benefit of it!

1. What is the difference between pure science and applied science?

Pure science is the study of fundamental concepts and theories, whereas applied science is the practical application of those concepts and theories to real-world problems.

2. Which one is more important, pure science or applied science?

Both pure science and applied science have their own importance. Pure science provides the foundation for applied science, while applied science helps to solve practical problems and improve our daily lives.

3. Can you give an example of pure science and applied science?

An example of pure science is studying the properties of different chemical elements, while an example of applied science is using those properties to develop new medicines.

4. Which field offers more career opportunities, pure science or applied science?

Both fields offer a wide range of career opportunities. Pure science careers include research and teaching positions, while applied science careers include engineering, technology, and healthcare.

5. Is it necessary to choose between pure science and applied science?

No, it is not necessary to choose between the two. Many scientists and researchers incorporate both pure and applied science in their work to gain a deeper understanding of a particular topic or to develop practical solutions.