1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is the best; Pure Science or Applied Science?

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    i am in big dilema of what to take up in near future;either PURE SCIENCE or APPLIED SCIENCE let me tell you that i want to become a SCIENTIST in the field of atomic science. so please please help me to know which is better for me and in which my future is sceure....
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2
    Pure science is just the application of science to itself, so it only another type of applied science. For this reason I consider applied science to be more fundamental, and thus more interesting.
  4. Dec 18, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

From an employment perspective, applied science would more than likely be more applicable than a pure science. An exception may be for a research oriented position such as that in academia, government or private institutions.
  5. Dec 19, 2008 #4
    more like, which is best FOR YOU?
  6. Dec 19, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Pure" science and "applied" science have very broad definitions. For example, the engineering departments at some schools define themselves as applied science, however a course in say, applied mathematics is not necessarily an engineering degree.

I think you'll have to be more specific if you really want feedback on a particular direction. Look into specific programs that catch your interest, look at the courses you'll take, the projects you'll work on, look at what careers people in those programs go on to, and look at the future predictions for people who study in that discipline.
  7. Dec 22, 2008 #6
    i am still in a confusion.....
    my interest lies in doing research in atomic, particle and relative physics(concerned to relativity) in all the three but i want to secure my future. do we have good amount in pure science? can we do research if we have a background from engineering stream?
  8. Dec 23, 2008 #7

Gold Member

I used to sit with the Medical Physicists of a cancer treatment/research centre for lunch and every lunch, every day, we discussed the theories of different physicists. These Dr.s were practicing their applied physics in medicine yet were able to explore the theories of physics on lunch. And I got the benefit of it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?