Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which music do you dislike the most?

1. Hip-hop

16 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Electronic Dance Music

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. Renaissance Polyphony

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gregorian Chant

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dixieland

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Baroque

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Classical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Romantic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Atonal

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  10. Country and Western

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  11. Anything Lip-Synched

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  12. Jazz

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  13. Rhythm and Blues

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  14. New Age

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  15. Rock and Roll

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  16. Heavy Metal

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  17. NONE - I appreciate all music

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. May 28, 2018 #1
    If you were able to vote for a certain type of music that you dislike, which would it be? This poll is inspired by the fact that I never got back to sleep after being disturbed by yet another obnoxious person playing hip-hop in his car. I am happy to start the voting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2018 #2
    No music should be banned. Even hip-hop can be fantastic if you know who to listen to. Anything mainstream is total garbage. But there are plenty of rappers that are really poets.

4. May 28, 2018 #3
    I guess I can change the question to "Which music do you dislike the most?"

5. May 28, 2018 #4

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Beside that I miss Rap, which I would consider at least a bit as an option, I definitely have to vote for another missing option: NONE! It is against every single fiber of myself to forbid ANY kind of art. Too strong are the reminders of occasions when this had been and has been done, too strong my sentiments against any form of regulation of free will and expression. I well-nigh hate those who try.

If you don't like a certain kind of art: don't consume it.
    If you were forced to, as you by the passing car at night, account it under "sh... happens".
    If you were repeatedly forced to, then it's a matter of courts and police.

In any case, my objection against such a regulation tops any kind of unpleasant instances by far.

6. May 28, 2018 #5
    All branches of musical expression have value. What I personally find noisome is the overuse of autotuning and DNC (dynamic range compression) in modern audio engineering.

7. May 28, 2018 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, generally I'm all for inclusiveness and freedom of expression, but there's this local-bred genre of music called 'Disco Polo'...
    It's been persistently popular among certain groups of people around here, including my erstwhile flatmate. I'm struggling to classify it in a way that'd highlight the precise extent of the horror it can instil, the neural genocide it can cause - so I shan't even try.
    A curious mind shall seek examples on youtube, but a fair warning from the surgeon general - listening to it may cause cancer, visits from the Spanish Inquisition, early arrival of the Armageddon, and/or unexpected reruns of Star Wars prequels.
    My personal opinion is that it should be banned by the Geneva convention, its fanbase reeducated in uraniun mines, its practitioners drawn and quartered, and all extant records scrambled beyond repair.

8. May 28, 2018 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do not like female operatic singing, but I in no way endorse banning it.

9. May 28, 2018 #8

Mark44

You've already changed the poll title -- I'm not at all for banning any type of music, but there are some genres that I really dislike.

I strongly disagree. John Cage once recorded 4 hours and 33 minutes of silence. Exactly what value is there in doing so? How does this compare to works of classical composers?

One could say that "all branches of art have value," a statement that is falsified by such "art" as Serrano's jar of urine with a crucifix in it or another prominent piece of "artwork" displayed in London that consisted of an empty room with a light switch.

10. May 28, 2018 #9

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

I like many styles and types of music, but I have preferences, of course. The style I like the least on the list is atonal, I don't enjoy it and it can even make me nervous or even annoyed :biggrin: (when I think atonal, I think mainly of atonal contemporary classical music). I'm also not very fond of ska, it is too fast and "jumpy" for me, and it makes me nervous.

Speaking of fast music, here's a guitar player that can play 999 bpm: :wideeyed:
    (at 5 m 42 s it gets completely insane)

11. May 28, 2018 #10

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

...and now I'll head over to youtube to have a listen... :smile:

12. May 28, 2018 #11

fresh_42

2017 Award

Me, too. I even listen to Schönberg from time to time, free Jazz, and I very much like coloratura soprano. And I found out, that I can sleep best to techno. It's always a matter of time, occasion and mood. Dislike (and originally: forbid) is simply far too strict in my opinion.

You don't like it? Don't listen to.

Whether something disqualifies as art is also a matter of taste. 4:33 of silence? Why not? Reminds me a bit of a very long rosary prayer, and I think I wouldn't stand it, but hey, they make money with recorded ocean sounds. "Is that art, or can it go away?" found it's way into common language here, after a cleaning woman once did this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fettecke

13. May 28, 2018 #12

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

No worries, that won't happen in my home as long as my remote control is working.

I've listened to a couple of songs and I understand what you mean. I hear some similarities with some popular domestic music I've heard when in Germany and Austria. There is also some similarity to a music genre in Sweden which is called dansband.

14. May 28, 2018 #13

fresh_42

2017 Award

I don't. For the dance floor in a disco, why not? I wouldn't listen to it at home, but I can imagine occasions where it makes sense. (P.S.: couldn't find a difference to e.g. YMCA.)

15. May 28, 2018 #14

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

And I've found out that I get very relaxed by psytrance music, even though it's often pretty fast.

EDIT: By the way, the four first internet radio channels on this page are very good psytrance/chillout channels. And these two channels are also good.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  16. May 28, 2018 #15
    I never heard of it, but I was intrigued by your warning, so of course I immediately checked it out. If I didn't know it was from Poland, and they sang in Spanish, I could believe it was from somewhere in Latin America. I can't say I enjoy it, but on the other hand I've heard much worse music than this.

17. May 28, 2018 #16

fresh_42

2017 Award

Reminds me on Koyaanisqatsi. How can I say this within the rules? Well, I guess you'll have to prepare yourself before watching / listening to it. But large parts of your channels cover what I called techno. I once programmed the radio alert to wake me up with such music. The result was, that half asleep I listened until my heartbeat has been synchronized and then I slept even better, instead of getting up. The most important aspect beside the bass and the beats is, that it's not interrupted by words of any kind, in which case my brain starts to listen to the words and I cannot sleep. However, I also tested a radio program in Finnish. That worked as well.

18. May 28, 2018 #17

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is false. There have been many recordings, but Cage never did one. The name 4’33” comes from the duration of the initial performance. The score simply says “tacet” over three movements.
    Edit: also, it was 4 minutes and 33 seconds.
    To answer your question with a question: what is music? This is a difficult question that essentially every influential composer has struggled with. Think of the musical version of the sorites paradox—is it still Beethoven’s ninth if the oboe misses a note in measure 223? How about if it misses two notes?...By induction is it still Beethoven’s ninth if all the instruments miss all the notes?

A certain school of thought asserted in answer to this problem that a musical piece is anything that happens within a given time frame. Cage’s 4’33” was a response to this answer (it’s a matter of some debate whether he was for or against this viewpoint: most lean toward “for.”)

19. May 28, 2018 #18

russ_watters

Agreed. There are some forms of music that I strongly dislike, but I would never select any to be banned, so I didn't answer the poll.

20. May 28, 2018 #19

Mark44

Yes, I misread the time as hours and minutes rather than minutes and seconds. That doesn't alter my point, though. Certainly, 4' 33'' of silence couldn't be considered "music" in any sense, or to my way of thinking, art.

To which I respond -- BS.

21. May 28, 2018 #20

fresh_42

2017 Award

Ephraim Kishon once called modern art a big rip off.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted