1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which of the arrangements of two compasses shown in the figure is a

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    1. If two compasses are brought near enough to each other, the magnetic fields of the compasses themselves will be larger than the field of the earth, and the needles will line up with each other

Which of the arrangements of two compasses shown in the figure is a possible stable arrangement?

jfk.Figure.24.Q37.jpg

3. My best guess is A because they are not pointed toward one another.. I have no clue about the concept the question is trying to test!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you know about forces between like poles and unlike poles?

4. Oct 13, 2013 #3
    forces

I only know the very basics tbh. The forces follow same rules of electric forces (N&N/S&S) repel but N and S attract.

5. Oct 13, 2013 #4
    I figured it out! The answer is c because they are attracted to each other, their natural stable relationship.

6. Oct 13, 2013 #5
    So then a stable configuration would be one where they are attracted to each other. You basically answered your own question :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted