Mastering Physics Homework about Magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discussed how to measure the strength of a horizontal magnetic field using a rigid metal rod, nonmagnetic springs, and current passing through wires. The data collected showed a linear relationship between deflection and current, and using the equation for the line of best fit, the magnetic field strength was determined to be 0.87 T. However, there was an error in the slope on the graph and the correct value should be 0.004 m/A.
eedftt
Homework Statement
Mastering Physics
Relevant Equations
Magnetic Field
Magnetic fields are sometimes measured by balancing magnetic forces against known mechanical forces. Your task is to measure the strength of a horizontal magnetic field using a 12-cm-long rigid metal rod that hangs from two nonmagnetic springs, one at each end, with spring constants 1.3 N/m
. You first position the rod to be level and perpendicular to the field, whose direction you determined with a compass. You then connect the ends of the rod to wires that run parallel to the field and thus experience no forces. Finally, you measure the downward deflection of the rod, stretching the springs, as you pass current through it. Your data are as follows:

Current, I(A)

Deflection Δy(mm)

1.0​
4​
2.0​
9​
3.0​
12​
4.0​
15​
5.0​
21​
Graphing either Δy versus I or I versus Δy gives a straight line. In the graph shown, we chose to plot Δy on the vertical axis and I on the horizontal axis. From the equation for the line of best fit given, determine the magnetic field strength B
Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

1587585121806.png

According to BIL = 2k*∆y

The slope is BL/(2k)

B = 2 * slope * k / (L) = 0.87

However, the system told me it was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you include the units?

Likes eedftt
kuruman said:
Did you include the units?
Yes. I choose "T" to be the unit.

1587587547690.png

The slope appears to be about .004 m/A. But you used 0.040 m/A for the slope in the calculation.

Likes eedftt
TSny said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/261204
The slope appears to be about .004 m/A. But you used 0.040 m/A for the slope in the calculation.

Thank you! The slope on the graph is incorrect. I will report this to mastering physics.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in magnets or electric currents.

2. How do I calculate the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

3. How does the direction of a magnetic field affect a charged particle?

The direction of a magnetic field can affect a charged particle by exerting a force on it. The force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle. This force causes the particle to move in a circular path, known as circular motion.

4. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, while an electric field is created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, a magnetic field can only exert a force on a moving charged particle, while an electric field can exert a force on both moving and stationary charged particles.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields are used in a variety of everyday applications, such as in speakers, motors, and generators. They are also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines. Additionally, magnetic fields are used in compasses for navigation and in credit cards for data storage.