1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Which of these courses should I drop?

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    I've posted a thread awhile back about whether my work load for this semester is manageable.
    The courses I enrolled in were:

QM II
    Nuclear and Particle Physics
    Mathematical Methods of Physics
    PDE
    Abstract Algebra

After some serious consideration, I have decided to drop one of the above courses, as it is simply too heavy for me to handle, and I'm not going to risk getting grades that are less than excellent.

Which one should I drop though? I'm likely not going to drop the physics courses, so its most likely going to be Algebra or PDE I'll drop.

I'm leaning more towards dropping PDE because of it's overlap with Math Methods, and also because our PDE course focuses a lot on analysis which I am not a fan of.

What do you guys think? Any input greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Fizicks1.

It looks like you are doing physics, so if you are going for utility, my suggestion is drop abstract algebra.

It looks like you are a physics nut, so if this is the case the other courses are going to supplement this focus far more than the algebra course.

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    Hey Chiro, thanks for your input.

I am indeed a physics major. I will definitely be taking all three physics courses I posted above. PDE and Algebra are the courses I'm choosing between to drop. Yes, PDE seem to have a broader application in physics, but Algebra is also useful in physics, such as in Particle Physics. Furthermore, the PDE course in my school is analysis focused, AND there is overlap with Math Methods. So currently I am more inclined towards dropping PDE.

Any more comments from anyone? 200+ views and only one reply!

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

You should drop algebra. It will not be as useful as you'd like. You can learn group theory on your own as you need it.

6. Sep 18, 2012 #5
    I agree with the other comments 100%. The vast majority of the physics community would tell you the same. PDE can add much more useful techniques to your applicable math base than abstract algebra ever could.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook