Which of these courses should I drop?

• Courses
  • Thread starter Fizicks1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses Drop
In summary, the individual is a physics major who is struggling with their workload for the semester. After considering their options, they have decided to drop one of their courses, most likely PDE or abstract algebra. They are leaning towards dropping PDE due to its overlap with another course and their personal dislike for analysis. They are seeking input from others, with some suggesting to drop algebra as it may not be as useful, while others suggest dropping PDE as it can provide more useful techniques for a physics focus.
Fizicks1
I've posted a thread awhile back about whether my work load for this semester is manageable.
The courses I enrolled in were:

QM II
Nuclear and Particle Physics
Mathematical Methods of Physics
PDE
Abstract Algebra

After some serious consideration, I have decided to drop one of the above courses, as it is simply too heavy for me to handle, and I'm not going to risk getting grades that are less than excellent.

Which one should I drop though? I'm likely not going to drop the physics courses, so its most likely going to be Algebra or PDE I'll drop.

I'm leaning more towards dropping PDE because of it's overlap with Math Methods, and also because our PDE course focuses a lot on analysis which I am not a fan of.

What do you guys think? Any input greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Fizicks1.

It looks like you are doing physics, so if you are going for utility, my suggestion is drop abstract algebra.

It looks like you are a physics nut, so if this is the case the other courses are going to supplement this focus far more than the algebra course.

chiro said:
Hey Fizicks1.

It looks like you are doing physics, so if you are going for utility, my suggestion is drop abstract algebra.

It looks like you are a physics nut, so if this is the case the other courses are going to supplement this focus far more than the algebra course.

Hey Chiro, thanks for your input.

I am indeed a physics major. I will definitely be taking all three physics courses I posted above. PDE and Algebra are the courses I'm choosing between to drop. Yes, PDE seem to have a broader application in physics, but Algebra is also useful in physics, such as in Particle Physics. Furthermore, the PDE course in my school is analysis focused, AND there is overlap with Math Methods. So currently I am more inclined towards dropping PDE.

Any more comments from anyone? 200+ views and only one reply!

You should drop algebra. It will not be as useful as you'd like. You can learn group theory on your own as you need it.

I agree with the other comments 100%. The vast majority of the physics community would tell you the same. PDE can add much more useful techniques to your applicable math base than abstract algebra ever could.

1. Should I drop a course if I'm struggling with it?

It depends on your situation. If the course is a requirement for your major or if it is a prerequisite for future courses, dropping it may not be the best option. However, if the course is not essential and you are finding it difficult to keep up with the workload, dropping it may be a good idea.

2. Will dropping a course affect my GPA?

Yes, dropping a course will likely affect your GPA. If you drop the course early in the semester, it may not have a significant impact. However, dropping the course later in the semester may result in a lower GPA if you were not doing well in the course.

3. Can I drop a course after the drop deadline?

In most cases, no. The drop deadline is set by the school and dropping a course after this date is not allowed. If you have extenuating circumstances, you may be able to petition to drop the course, but this is not guaranteed.

4. Will dropping a course show up on my transcript?

Yes, dropping a course will typically show up on your transcript. However, the specifics may vary depending on your school's policies. Some schools may have an option to withdraw from a course, which may not appear on your transcript. It is best to check with your school's registrar for more information.

5. How many courses should I drop in a semester?

It is generally recommended to not drop more than one course in a semester. Dropping multiple courses can significantly delay your graduation and may result in financial aid or academic probation issues. It is important to carefully consider your options and speak with your academic advisor before making a decision to drop a course.