Which of these fields gives me the background i need to transfer

• Thread starter tj00343
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the individual has an interest in mining and/or petroleum engineering but their country does not offer degrees in these fields and they are unable to travel due to financial constraints. The degrees offered in their country in mechanical, electrical, electronic, communications, biomedical, surveying, and civil engineering may provide a good background for working in mining/petroleum engineering, depending on the specific area of interest. However, the individual notes that many companies in this industry have training programs that cover a wide range of topics and may accept students from different backgrounds. The individual also mentions that there are no degrees in petroleum engineering or mining at any institution in their country. They also mention that some universities in Canada offer these programs and have a significant number of international students.
tj00343
Hi , I have an interest in mining and/or petroleum engineering , but none of the universities in my country offer any of these degrees , (and traveling is not an option because of money ) , the degrees offered here are Mechanical ,electrical, electronic ,communications ,biomedical, surveying ,and civil engineering , do any of these fields give me a good enough background to work in mining /petroleum engineering

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't work in this area but I'll tell you what my understanding as a graduate is:

It depends what, more specifically, you are interested in. In my experience, the types of companies that cover the areas you are speaking about do their graduate recruitment through large, international scale, programmes. This means that there are training programmes designed to cover 'everything you need to know' before it's necessarily decided which part of the business you will work for. Then, these types of employers can afford to accept students from different backgrounds - as long as they have proven their ability to learn (within reason, of course).

Along these lines, I would probably suggest that any physical science/engineering subject would allow entry to an area such as this - potentially with mechanical or chemical engineering being the best options - depending on which part of this industry you want to work in.

edit: Also, as far as I'm aware, there are no degrees at any institution (there may be in other countries) in petroleum engineering or mining, so you aren't disadvantaged by 'only' having the above selection to choose from.

thanks a lot man

I know Canada has a few universities with PetE/Mining; the univerity I attend, University of Alberta, has both programs and I know we have quiet a few international students.

Just read traveling is not an option, nevermind

Last edited:

1. What is the best field to study in order to transfer to a different science-related field?

The answer to this question depends on the specific field you wish to transfer to. However, some of the most common fields that provide a strong background for transferring to other science fields include biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.

2. Can I transfer from a non-science field to a science-related field?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a non-science field to a science-related field. However, you may need to take additional courses or complete a bridge program in order to gain the necessary background knowledge.

3. Will I need to meet specific requirements to transfer to a science-related field?

Yes, most science-related fields have specific requirements that must be met in order to transfer. These requirements may include completing certain courses, maintaining a certain GPA, or completing a specific number of lab hours.

4. How can I determine if my current field of study will provide a strong background for transferring to a different science field?

You can research the specific requirements and prerequisites for the science field you wish to transfer to. Additionally, you can speak with an academic advisor or a faculty member in that field to get their insights on the best path to take.

5. Will I have to start over if I transfer to a different science-related field?

It depends on the specific field and institution. In some cases, you may be able to transfer credits and continue your studies without having to start over. However, some schools may require you to complete certain courses or repeat coursework in order to meet their specific requirements.