1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which one of the following orbitals is lowest in energy in a Li2+ ion?

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    Which one of the following orbitals is lowest in energy in a Li2+ ion?

37s
    12p z
    2d x^2-y^2
    5f xyz
    4d xz

attempt on solution:

n=3
    l=can be n-1
    ml=-l to + l
    Therefore the lowest energy is

I suppose the answer is 12p z? since the l can be any number smaller than 3 until zero. I am not sure, but the answer is 4d xz

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Use Aufbau Principle. I am sure you know how to draw the diagram, that diagonal arrows one.

By common sense, 12(!) shell is absurd in comparison to 4th and 5th shell given.

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I don't think Aufbau principle is a good approach, we are talking about a single electron and Aufbau principle assumes all lower energy orbitals are already filled. In this particular case it doesn't matter, but in general it is guaranteed to give bad results in some cases (think 4s and 3d).

For an electron in a hydrogen-like atom energy is a function of only one quantum number. Do you know which one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook