1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Knowing the Energy of a photon, what is the charge of a species?

1. Nov 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An atom or ion with only one electron is excited from the ground state to the first excited state (n = 2) with a photon of 1.47E-17 J of energy. What is the charge on the one-electron species?
    A. 0
    B. +1
    C. +2
    D. +3
    E. +4

2. Relevant equations
    E=-(2.18E-18)(Z2)/(N2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plugged in the information given into the equation:

(1.47E-17)=(-2.18E-18)(Z2)((1/4)-1)

With some algebra, I got Z=2.998, which may as well be a charge of +3.
    However, according to the answer key, the correct answer is, in fact, +2 (C).
    I would appreciate any guidance as to where I might be going wrong with this problem. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

What is the charge of the ion as a whole if the charge of the nucleus is 3?

4. Nov 4, 2017 #3
    Due to shielding, the effective charge would be about +2? I think I kinda see that maybe my calculations weren't wrong, but that I didn't understand the question right, but I still don't really get it.

5. Nov 4, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You calculated Z, but Z is not what the question asks about. It asks you to calculate charge of the ion, not of the nucleus.

6. Nov 4, 2017 #5
    Ah, so then because I calculated the nucleus' charge to be +3, with a single electron there would be a charge of +2? That would make a lot of sense. Then I assume I didn't make any mistakes in solving for charge of the nucleus to figure out the ion's charge? Thanks!

7. Nov 5, 2017 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK, although your first equation and the second equation are different.

8. Nov 5, 2017 #7
    Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted