Knowing the Energy of a photon, what is the charge of a species?

In summary: I made a mistake plugging in the numbers, but I got it right now.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the charge on an atom or ion with one electron that is excited from the ground state to the first excited state. Using the equation E=-(2.18E-18)(Z2)/(N2), the charge of the ion is found to be +2. Some confusion about the question arose due to not accounting for shielding, which results in an effective charge of +2 instead of +3 for the ion.
brbrett

Homework Statement

An atom or ion with only one electron is excited from the ground state to the first excited state (n = 2) with a photon of 1.47E-17 J of energy. What is the charge on the one-electron species?
A. 0
B. +1
C. +2
D. +3
E. +4

Homework Equations

E=-(2.18E-18)(Z2)/(N2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the information given into the equation:

(1.47E-17)=(-2.18E-18)(Z2)((1/4)-1)

With some algebra, I got Z=2.998, which may as well be a charge of +3.
However, according to the answer key, the correct answer is, in fact, +2 (C).
I would appreciate any guidance as to where I might be going wrong with this problem. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the charge of the ion as a whole if the charge of the nucleus is 3?

Due to shielding, the effective charge would be about +2? I think I kinda see that maybe my calculations weren't wrong, but that I didn't understand the question right, but I still don't really get it.

You calculated Z, but Z is not what the question asks about. It asks you to calculate charge of the ion, not of the nucleus.

Ah, so then because I calculated the nucleus' charge to be +3, with a single electron there would be a charge of +2? That would make a lot of sense. Then I assume I didn't make any mistakes in solving for charge of the nucleus to figure out the ion's charge? Thanks!

Looks OK, although your first equation and the second equation are different.

Thanks!

1. What is the energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency and is given by the equation E = hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency.

2. How is the charge of a species related to the energy of a photon?

The charge of a species is not directly related to the energy of a photon. The energy of a photon is determined by its frequency, which is determined by the energy levels of the atom or molecule that emitted or absorbed the photon.

3. Can the energy of a photon be used to determine the charge of a species?

No, the energy of a photon alone cannot be used to determine the charge of a species. Other factors such as the atomic or molecular structure, the arrangement of electrons, and the presence of other charged particles also play a role in determining the charge of a species.

4. How does the energy of a photon affect the behavior of a species?

The energy of a photon can determine the behavior of a species by influencing its electronic and molecular structure. When a photon with enough energy is absorbed, it can cause an electron to jump to a higher energy level, resulting in changes in the chemical properties and behavior of the species.

5. Is there a relationship between the charge of a species and the energy of a photon it emits or absorbs?

Yes, there is a relationship between the charge of a species and the energy of a photon it emits or absorbs. The energy of a photon is determined by the electronic and molecular structure of the species, which is in turn influenced by its charge. Therefore, the charge of a species can indirectly affect the energy of a photon emitted or absorbed by that species.