Which operator for reflection in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of writing an operator for reflection in quantum mechanics and whether it can be represented as a composition of other operators such as rotations and parity operators. The conversation also touches on the use of the parity operator in representing reflection and the relationship between rotations and reflections.
Amentia
Hello,

I know we have the parity operator for inversion in quantum mechanics and for rotations we have the exponentials of the angular momentum/spin operators. But what if I want to write the operator that represent a reflection for example just switching y to -y, the matrix in real space being:

$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & -1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}=
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & -1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}
$$ ?

Is it possible to write it as a composition of rotations and/or parity operators? Or is there already an operator for this kind of transformation like partial parity... ? I could not find it on the internet or book chapters.

Thank you for any hints about that.

Physics news on Phys.org
In case it is unclear, I will take an example that is of interest to me. I wanted to ask if I can write an operator for reflection along y as:
$$\Pi e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{L}_{y}\pi}\otimes e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{S}_{y}\pi} = \Pi e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{J}_{y}\pi}$$
when I want to perform a reflecion on a spin 3/2 particle and $$\Pi$$ is the parity operator while L acts on angular momentum for l=1 and S on spin 1/2 while J is the operator when I add them.

And I know that we have:
$$\Pi |l,m\rangle = (-1)^{l}|l,m\rangle$$

but I do not know if this operator acts in a simple way on spin 1/2 states. I believe also it should commute wih the rotation operators. Sorry that was actually two questions into one but if my assumptions that I can use the parity operator to represent a reflection is wrong, this second question was not really necessary...

One can write any reflection ##R## as a product of the rotation ##Q=RR_0^{-1}## and another given reflection ##R_0##, since the rotation group ##SO(3)## has index 2 in the full orthogonal group ##O(3)## generated by rotations and reflections.

Thank you for your answer but I am not sure to understand. You are saying I could write my reflection as $$R=QR_{0},$$ but it implies writing another reflection while my question is about how to write such a reflection, either directly or as a composition of other operators which are not reflections. Or did you mean something else?

Amentia said:
Thank you for your answer but I am not sure to understand. You are saying I could write my reflection as $$R=QR_{0},$$ but it implies writing another reflection while my question is about how to write such a reflection, either directly or as a composition of other operators which are not reflections. Or did you mean something else?
You can take the parity as the reflection ##R_0##.

Ok, so assuming the parity does not act on spin 1/2, I assume my first equation is correct? I could say, calling ##R_{y}## my reflection operator:

$$R_{y}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle = e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{J}_{y}\pi}\Pi|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle \\

R_{y}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle = e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{L}_{y}\pi}\Pi\otimes e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{S}_{y}\pi} |1,1\rangle\otimes|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle \\
R_{y}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle = e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{L}_{y}\pi}\Pi|1,1\rangle\otimes e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{S}_{y}\pi}|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle \\
R_{y}|\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\rangle = -e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{L}_{y}\pi}|1,1\rangle\otimes e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{S}_{y}\pi}|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle
$$

And then just proceed by developping the rotation operator with the Pauli matrices and matrices for angular momentum equal to 1?

I didn't have time to look closely at your example. I only answered to your post #1. My statement holds for any dimension, though, also for tensor products.

All right, so it should work for me, thank you again!

1. What is the operator for reflection in quantum mechanics?

The operator for reflection in quantum mechanics is the parity operator, also known as the mirror operator. It is represented by the symbol "P" and is used to determine the parity or symmetry of a quantum state.

2. How does the parity operator work?

The parity operator works by reversing the sign of all spatial coordinates in the wave function. This means that if the wave function is symmetric, it remains unchanged under the parity operator, but if it is antisymmetric, it will change sign.

3. What is the physical significance of the parity operator?

The physical significance of the parity operator is that it helps us understand the symmetry of a quantum system. For example, if a system is symmetric under the parity operator, it means that it looks the same when viewed in a mirror, and vice versa.

4. How is the parity operator used in quantum mechanics?

The parity operator is used in quantum mechanics to classify quantum states as even or odd, depending on whether they are symmetric or antisymmetric under the parity operator. It is also used in calculations and equations to determine the behavior of particles in a quantum system.

5. Can the parity operator be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the parity operator can be applied to all quantum systems, as long as they have a wave function that can be described by spatial coordinates. This includes systems such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.